VMware Horizon Community
cogn_arvind
Contributor
Contributor

WinSQL Appstack creation

Hello - I need some help on winsql appstack creation. Can someone help ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

cogn_arvind
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the response. I did look that link before i asked.

The one that you have referred is for SQL Management Studio and I have requested for WinSQL.

WinSQL is similar to SQL management studio - meaning it helps you connect to the DB instance,however the 2 apps are completely different in terms of installation.

SQL management studio 2017 installs a whole set of Visual C++ Plugins and other things,however WinSQL is just a exe file and does not really install anything per se. Its more like putty if i have to reference something similar.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There are a few things to keep in mind here.

You can create an appstack and just copy this file into a folder of your choice (I would suggest a program Files directory but that's up to you). Then just create a shoertcut to that file and place it in the programdata start menu folder (the old All users startmenu) and that should do the trick.

W did find out though that if you don;t install an application and just copy it that you won;t see the application installed in the Appvolumes manager (Appvolumes manager checks the uninstall registry key) and we also saw some issues with the appstack not being merged correctly because of the missing uninstall key.

What we do now is just create an installer file (even if it is just 1 file we need to copy) to fool Appvolumes into the fact that we did in fact install an application.

If the copy file and create shortcut works than you can use that option as well.. Just attach it to a user and check the svservice.log file to see how long merging takes.. It should be done within a split second.

0 Kudos