VMware Horizon Community
iamhmongry
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I am packaging a new application, how do I get other things to not update and ruin my package?

I'm currently trying to package up Kaltura in an education environment.

When I go to package it/install it on my provisioning machine, it adds updates for Adobe Reader and Internet Explorer Edge. 

How do I get those background applications to stop automatically updating when I'm creating new packages?

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I just want to be clear here for all packaging efforts; You 99.9% of the time package on a clean VM, what is a clean VM?

Packaging Best Practice Capturing VM:

• The Windows OS version you will deploy to production VDI pool.
  • Apply all Windows Updated that will be applied in production.
  • Turn off Windows Auto Update or defer updates as long as you can.
    • Turn on Notifications to let you know there are updates.
  • Install the Packaging VMware solutions. (list below do not all have to be installed)
    • App Volumes Agent
    • ThinApp shortcut to ThinApp capturing source on file share.
    • DEM Application Profiler.
  • Make any Desktop User Config as you need, like File Explorer...
  • Shutdown and take a Base Capture snapshot.
  • This will be your snap that you will revert too, to start a new packaging effort.

AppVolumes Packaging:

• Revert VM to Base Capture snapshot.
  • Power on VM. In AVM console, attach new package to the Capturing VM.
  • Complete your application install and configuration.
  • Complete the AppVolumes packaging process.
  • Revert the VM to the Base Capture snapshot.
    • If you were notified about OS updates;
      • Power On VM from BC snapshot.
      • Apply updates Shutdown VM and make new BC snapshot.

FYI, If you have an application install that needs other applications to be installed prior to the app you are working with, then you need to install those applications and create another snapshot that refers to the apps being installed, like Office, Chrome, Adobe, and/or Edge...

P.S. You DO NOT want to have a packaging VM to have your production Image configuration.

To hard to maintain and you need to test and package on a clean VM first. This process is the best way to have the cleanest and know what is in your packages. This will also keep your packages from capture bloat.

VMware EUC by Broadcom
https://techzone.vmware.com/

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You need to update your packaging VM before you capture your application.

Most likely these are prerequisites that are need for this version of the application.

You have three options to decide how you want to package this application.

1. Package the application and all prerequisites and deploy as a full package.
  2. Install all prerequisites before running the capture of the application and take a pre-packaging snapshot.
    1. Most likely you will need to update you Gold Image with these prerequisites for this application to function properly.
  3. Update both your packaging and Gold Image VMs, then package your application.

You have to decide which solution works for you, take in account for other applications and will they work with these new updated prerequisites. If not, you may need to look at ThinApp for isolating this application and its prerequisites to function properly with your other applications that are mounted or installed to your Gold Image.

VMware EUC by Broadcom
iamhmongry
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Micheal! Appreciate your time and insight! 

Also wanted to note that apparently if I do the install fast enough, Adobe and Edge actually won't update themselves. If I leave my packaging VM open long enough, Adobe and Edge both update themselves. 

Obviously not a real solution but something I thought about as I was resolving this. 

0 Kudos
Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Do you have Adobe and Edge installed on your packaging VM?

You should only have Windows OS with updates and any middleware installed as your base capture VM. This way you will only capture what you need for that application.

If your application needs Office/Edge/Adobe to be present during install, then install and take a snapshot before you capture the application.

VMware EUC by Broadcom
antonpaloka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Your package machine needs to be identical to your existing gold/master image. 

You should have Adobe/Windows/every auto update disabled to make your life easier. You don't want your OS to have an update applying while you're capturing an app install as this would be recorded and then layered on top of your production desktops, which will cause issues for you.

Lieven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Be aware that Edge, Chrome, Adobe, Onedrive, ... and other software have scheduled tasks defined which updates them. It is best practice to disable or remove these scheduled tasks on your packaging machine (and also on our golden image)

Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I just want to be clear here for all packaging efforts; You 99.9% of the time package on a clean VM, what is a clean VM?

Packaging Best Practice Capturing VM:

• The Windows OS version you will deploy to production VDI pool.
  • Apply all Windows Updated that will be applied in production.
  • Turn off Windows Auto Update or defer updates as long as you can.
    • Turn on Notifications to let you know there are updates.
  • Install the Packaging VMware solutions. (list below do not all have to be installed)
    • App Volumes Agent
    • ThinApp shortcut to ThinApp capturing source on file share.
    • DEM Application Profiler.
  • Make any Desktop User Config as you need, like File Explorer...
  • Shutdown and take a Base Capture snapshot.
  • This will be your snap that you will revert too, to start a new packaging effort.

AppVolumes Packaging:

• Revert VM to Base Capture snapshot.
  • Power on VM. In AVM console, attach new package to the Capturing VM.
  • Complete your application install and configuration.
  • Complete the AppVolumes packaging process.
  • Revert the VM to the Base Capture snapshot.
    • If you were notified about OS updates;
      • Power On VM from BC snapshot.
      • Apply updates Shutdown VM and make new BC snapshot.

FYI, If you have an application install that needs other applications to be installed prior to the app you are working with, then you need to install those applications and create another snapshot that refers to the apps being installed, like Office, Chrome, Adobe, and/or Edge...

P.S. You DO NOT want to have a packaging VM to have your production Image configuration.

To hard to maintain and you need to test and package on a clean VM first. This process is the best way to have the cleanest and know what is in your packages. This will also keep your packages from capture bloat.

VMware EUC by Broadcom