VMware Horizon Community
LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Webex meetings problems with Writable Volume

HEllo,

We are using AppVolumes 2103 (4.4.4.6) server and agent with writable profiles (Profile Only). What we are seeing now is that when user needs to join WebEx meeting. User opens calendar invite and clicks the green button to Join WebEx. The WebEx site is opened in Chrome and at that point it just spins. We can download the installer and make a manual install and it will work for that session. It appears that it installs Cisco WebEx Meetings to appdata as the normal user can install it. Next, when user logs off from the session and then logs back on to new session, we can see that the CiscoWebexMeetings is there installed but when trying to join the meeting the same way again it is not recognizing that app and user needs to download it again and reinstall. In addition to that what we noticed is that when join webex is clicked it normally has a pop up in Chrome which you click and allow or select always allow but that doesn't happen as well

It does work just fine with another Profile management like FSLogix and also works if I disable my Writable volume and user RDP to get to the Instant clone so it doesn' t get removed after logoff it works there too on multiple logons and logoffs.

Anyone else with that issue?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
kmgp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Because you are installing something during the session of user (And you want that in subsequent sessions + Profile of the user), would you want to experiment the same scenario with UIA + Profile writable?

Thanks

GURU

Views expressed in here are my own.
0 Kudos
LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello, I did create a UIA + Profile writable for me and it's been happening with it as well. I'm not sure if it's just something that happened with webex or just when we transitioned from AV 2.18 to AV 4

In the past we've been steering away from UIA+Profile to avoid persisting stuff that admins might try to install or reinstall when troubleshooting problems. For example, if they had application that wouldn't work, they would try to reinstall it on a clone and see if it works. If it did, we would repeat the same process on the image and repush to the pool. 

Our users don't have admin rights on clones but only for those cases when a Technician tries things we are afraid tat it would get saved in user writable

0 Kudos
hermanc01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the exact same issue.  

We're migrating from 2.18 to 2203 and also moving away from UIA+Profile and using Profile Only now (same issue with too much overhead of keeping the writable volumes clean) and Webex is giving us the same behavior.  

I'm not deploying the system installer for it because Webex refuses to let you disable auto-updates and if/when it does auto-update it places it in the user profile (seriously...).

It doesn't matter if we use Firefox of Chrome, it just spins until you uninstall and reinstall it.  Even more odd, if I join a test meeting and it successfully works, then close the browser and attempt to start another test meeting it spins.  So it's not like something is being lost at logoff. 

0 Kudos
LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For now as a workaround besides having Webex app we also installed older Cisco Webex Meetings on the image and that appears to be working well for now especially for people without webex account that can't sign into Webex app and only join meetings

0 Kudos
richiefez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Certain apps like Teams, Zoom , webex doesn't work well with the appstacks and the writable volumes. The best approach is to install them on the base image.  If not use FSlogix and DEM. 

0 Kudos