VMware Horizon Community
mattavenue
Contributor
Contributor

Volume App 4 snapvol.cfg questions

Hello,

I am aware the snapvol.cfg location has been moved to the golden image agents folder following the release of version 4.0.

We are looking to start using the snapvol.cfg file to exclude common apps (that are installed directly on golden image) such as Adobe Reader, Chrome, etc.

If I create a snapvol.cfg file in the \custom folder on the golden image and add exclusions, I can theoretically create a snapshot and push to a desktop pool.... then make a change to the exclusions, create a second snapshot, and push to a different desktop pool? So you can have multiple desktop pools using the same golden image, with different snapvol.cfg files?

We would like to create a snapvol.cfg and add to a test desktop pool before rolling out to production, but use the same golden image as production.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao
you can proceed to create multiple desktop pools starting from the same gold image using different snapshots (and consequently with different snapvol.cfg)
However, my advice is to stick to having a maximum of 3-4 snapshots per master image, to avoid performance problems.
Normally I prefer to have a dedicated gold image (a few gold image using appvolume) and not mix them on multiple desktop pools for my idea of cleanliness.

To create a desktop test pool you can start from the same master image and use different snapshots (but I suggest cloning the production gold image  and creating a test gold image for the question of the snapshot numbers 

Fabio

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have my customers create a Gold Image to our best practices and then import that image into the Content Library.

• This allows you maintain the GI-VM with all your moderations and updates needed. Especially if you are creating your Gold Image manually from our guide.
  • Then you can create Master Images from the GI-VM and make all the changes you need to that MI-VM for your Desktop Pools.
    • Make sure you run the OSOT Finalize Tab after any changes you make to the MI-VM and any custom scripts that make company modifications, like Stopping the AppVolumes Service and cleaning up the logs.

You should never have more than one snapshot per Gold/Master Image, because snapshots use more resources than needed and can cause performance issues in your pools.

VMware EUC by Broadcom
https://techzone.vmware.com/
0 Kudos