VMware Horizon Community
gpeck29adv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Visual Studio - Invalid License Data

We are attempting to put Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2010 into an AppStack. All works with the original install and the program opens fine. Close up the AppStack and assign to a new user for testing and both version open a pop up message stating "Invalid License Data. Reinstall is required".

Has anybody overcame this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, seen this issue with Visual Studio 2010 when capturing on a clean VM.

The workaround is to capture Visual Studio on a VM with master/base image that is used for deployment. This has worked for me to overcome the license issue when assigning the AppStack.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, seen this issue with Visual Studio 2010 when capturing on a clean VM.

The workaround is to capture Visual Studio on a VM with master/base image that is used for deployment. This has worked for me to overcome the license issue when assigning the AppStack.

0 Kudos
gpeck29adv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We currently are capturing on what is the base image. Maybe I'll rebuild my capture machines off the base image JUST to make sure. I was thinking there might be registry entries that don't get captured during the process is this a possibility?

0 Kudos
gpeck29adv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I updated my App Volumes capture machines and redeployed Visual Studio 2010 and it worked without any license errors. Thank You! Guess this shows the importance of keeping the App Volume Build machines at the same level as the base image.

0 Kudos
matteoabrile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

on my Master/Golden Image that I use to deploy VM in Horizon, I have Horizon View Agent installed, need uninstall it ? before use it for deploy Visual Studio ?

Thanks

M.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Suggest to clone the master/golden image, uninstall view agent and snapshot the VM for provisioning AppStack.

0 Kudos
matteoabrile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I followed your suggest but same result, license expired... but I try with VS 2013. Maybe solve problem if I try with 2012 ?

0 Kudos
matteoabrile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I try also with VS 2012 but same result, meanwhile it is opening I can see "Licensed to Utente", Utente is name users that I use in Deploy VM. After it I can see license error, need reinstall application message.

Have you any idea ? I followed your suggest.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Can you check whether the SID's are the same and are not changed using any customization script?

0 Kudos
matteoabrile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I do sysprep with /generalize and /oobe so I think SID change from master.

0 Kudos
DanielLineberry
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using the using a clone of the pool master image fixed this for me also, but each time the user launches Visual Studio, they are asked to select the the default programming language, followed by a brief setup. I found all the configuration files on the writable volume containing the user profile, but it still does not retain that selection. Has anyone else seen that?

Daniel Lineberry | Senior Engineer Office: 210-918 9522 dan.lineberry@siriuscom.com Sirius Computer Solutions | www.siriuscom.com
0 Kudos