VMware Horizon Community
andrewsanderson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Visual Studio 2012

Anyone successfully package Visual Studio 2012 Professional with app volumes?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andrewsanderson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you.

You answered my next question.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, we have packaged both Visual Studio 2010 and 2012.

Do not capture them on a clean VM, you will end up with licensing issue when deploying the AppStack.

Make sure to capture on the master image VM or View base image VM.

andrewsanderson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you.

You answered my next question.

0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Do we know why there is a licensing issue, and is there any way around it?

If we change the base image in the future, we have to recapture all apps that could have this problem?!

0 Kudos
BrianWelchel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Could you elaborate on this point a bit?  I packaged Visual Studio 2013 on our master image, and I am getting the licensing error.  Is this something new with 2013, or did I miss something in packaging?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Try capturing Visual Studio on a clean VM with master image and make sure it activates correctly in the master image.

This has helped to overcome the license issue with VS 2012 when assigning AppStack.

Did not check with 2013 version and not sure if the license mechanism has changed in it.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The issue is that the SID's must match from provisioning machine to end point. So this will only work on a Linked Clone/PVS non-persistent deployment.

0 Kudos
Erossman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It tried to AppStack Visual Studio 2013 with AppVolumes 2.11. I get an license issue everytime on my win7 linked clone pool.

I used my parent master image for capturing. Also checked my machine SID (with psgetsid tool) on my parent and linked clone pool It is the same on all VMs.

Which edition of visual studio do I need? I have a MSDN version, where I don't have to enter a license key.

Please help.

Regards,

VM-Master

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey Erossman,

We've simply dropped it, couldn't get it to work. This has got nothing to do with Appvolumes but with the way Visual Studio works with his license program.

I'm getting really tired with software companies pushing you towards 1 activation per machine name, what age are these people living in (also looking at you Adobe!!) that you can only activate an application once. And the worst thing is that the application is free to use. If Microsoft could simply give you an option to remove activation so it could be activated every time you start it up, you still need to log in with a Microsoft account.

0 Kudos
Erossman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ray_handels,

I found a version of visual studio 2013 pro, which working in my client environment Smiley Happy

The file name is "SW_DVD5_Visual_Studio_Pro_2013_English_-2_MLF_X19-27145.ISO"

I have no product key to enter during installation. I get the status "licensed" on my liinked clone floating pool.

I hope this info helps anyone else.

Regards,

VM-Master

0 Kudos