VMware Horizon Community
TrotmanRalphCBS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Visual Studio 15

As anyone successfully created a stack for Visual Studio 2015?   I have a working stack visual studio 2012 and tried the same steps on 15 but when trying to use the stack i get  "trial period expired" and it doesn't matter if you enter your msdn info it just closes after hitting OK.

8 Replies
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Any errors in Windows event Viewer?

Can you give a screen shot of the specific error?

What license model are you using?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Please have a look at this thread:

Visual Studio - Invalid License Data

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not convinced it is the SID issue based on the response that he did the same way as previous. But never know and good point to check first.

0 Kudos
TrotmanRalphCBS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

that's correct the process works for visual studio 12 but not for 15 so I expect something changed (yet again) with ms licensing.  I've decided to create a visual studio 15 image and not use app volumes for this app.  I'm a big fan of app volumes but the key is to know when to use it or when to go native.

0 Kudos
TrotmanRalphCBS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just wondering if anyone else has tried or has successfully done Visual Studio 15.   The problem that I'm facing ( and most likely anyone else) is "license:prerelease software your license has expired" .  You can enter a key or use an online account.  

The same installation on PC without app volumes works fine.   Something in the appstack capture process makes the trial period expire immediately.

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Most likely it see's a different machine name. I would try ThinApp'ng VS15 first and then use AV to deploy.

I will be provisioning this version of VS for my client, but don't plan on doing it anytime soon. If I do get to it and there is no solution at that time. I will reply with my results.

Mike_A
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We are trying to get Visual Express 2013 to work. It seems as this has the exact same issue as the new 2015 version.

We are using a clone of our golden image as our packaging machine so it doesn't seem to be SID related. Also, we tried activating during sequence process and tried not activating during packaging process, both to no avail.

My guess is that Microsoft somehwo writes information into the Appdata or HKCU when the application is being installed and when attached to a different machine it might be missing this information?? If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please let us know.

We also will be trying to get it fixed.

0 Kudos
amantia
Contributor
Contributor

We followed @Mike_A suggestion. We created a clone of the base image (so that the SID was maintained) and created the appstack there. License is maintained. We are using VS Pro 2015. Another option would have been changing the SID of the sequencing vm.