VMware Horizon Community
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Visio 2016 Volume License Install

We are using App Volumes 2.13.1 and I am trying to capture Visio 2016 volume license install i.e. one that uses the KMS server to activate.  Eventually I would like to have this as an addon to office but to simplify things for the moment I'm just trying to get it to work standalone.  We are using a click to run installer using the Volume licensing configuation:

</Product>

<Product ID="VisioProXVolume">

<ExcludeApp ID="OneDrive" />

<Language ID="en-us" />

</Product>

On a normal machine this works fine and Visio installs and checks out its license properly from the KMS server, but if I try to do it in an appstack and apply it to a machine I get the following error:

pastedImage_1.png

If I choose close Visio just closes.  If I choose repair now then it restarts Visio and on the next launch I get the following:

pastedImage_2.png

This was captured on a provisioning machine without anything but the App Volumes agent (no MS Office installed) and deployed to a VM with no software on it (No MS Office installed).  Does app volumes just not work with the volume license version of Visio?  That can't actually be intended.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
mmonkman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Aldo_M

I don't believe that would work.
You would either need everything in the base image and use something like Applocker to prevent users from seeing Visio or setup the following Appstacks;

• AppStack with Office 2016 ProPlus
  • AppStack with Office 2016 ProPlus + Visio
0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No, with what I am testing right now the provisioning machine nor the golden image have ever had Office installed.

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey,

Just read VMware Knowledge Base  and noticed the note at the end.

Note: When an Office application is launched for the first time on the assigned machine, the application performs certain configurations. Wait for the configuration process to complete successfully.

Is anyone aware of a method to prevent this from occurring ? Having users of instant clone desktops to go through this process every time they need to use Visio or Project would become annoying.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, that would be annoying, but that isn't really what I see.  I straight up get an error and it tells you to repair the installation.  If you do click repair it will close Visio and if you launch it again it does seem to work.  That obviously is not acceptable though.

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah that’s a little more troublesome, submit a ticket ?

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yeah, I've had a ticket open since November about it.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This is actually resolved in version 2.14.0.  You can now have the Click-to-Run install of office and visio with office using the O365 licensing and Visio/Project using KMS volume licensing.

Also, on a side note if you were using the MSI installs before this worked as well, just not Click-to-Run

0 Kudos
ap_idb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So just upgrading to 2.14 resolved this for you? I get the same "Repair Now" error as you:

In Base / Capture: Office 2019 KMS Click To Run installer

App Volume: Visio 2019 same version as the in-base office 2019.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you already upgrade to 2.14, did you try creating a new appstack, an upgraded on may have the same problems. Also Office 2019 isn't really o365 I thought, and that version may be a whole different issue then the 2016 version

0 Kudos