VMware Horizon Community
VirtualSven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Very slow login Windows 8.1 with writeable volume

When I try to login on a clean Windows 8.1 desktop with a new writeable volume, the login takes forever. The screen stays on "Welcome to Windows" forever. After 10 minutes or so, the login is succesful, but the next login I have the same issue.

I tried with another account with no writable volume, and the login is fast.

Sven Huisman VMware vExpert 2009-2016 Twitter: @svenh blog: svenhuisman.com
0 Kudos
13 Replies
sachindsharma
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, note that 8.1 isn't supported in this release per the release notes.

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please attach the  App Volumes Agent log

To obtain diagnostic information from the App Volumes Manager:

The LogCollector tool is provided with the .ISO in LogCollector\svlogcollector.zip.

Place the LogCollector tool on the C: drive and run these tools to collect log files on the affected virtual machine or system as the administrator:

SVLogCollector64.exe
SVLogCollector32.exe

New folders are created on your machine:

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
snowman386
Contributor
Contributor

sachindsharma wrote:

Hi, note that 8.1 isn't supported in this release per the release notes.

That conflicts with the user guide that states this:

VMware App

Volumes

Agent

Windows 7 64/32bit

Windows 8.1

Windows 2008 R2

64bit

1GB of Ram 5 Megabyte

sachindsharma
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for pointing that out. Mistake in the user guide. It'll be updated soon.

VirtualSven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What? Why is Windows 8.1 not supported? It's almost 2015, come on VMware! And why is Windows 8.1 mentioned as supported in the user guide and in the deployment guide? I also see Windows 8.1 mentioned in the management interface.

Sven Huisman VMware vExpert 2009-2016 Twitter: @svenh blog: svenhuisman.com
0 Kudos
snowman386
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah honestly that is pretty disappointing since everything else Horizon supports 8.1. I guess that would explain why I could not get Office 2013 packaged for the life of me despite the simple 3 step directions in the user guide!

0 Kudos
romeoblues
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a date for 8.1 support with AppVols?

0 Kudos
kclinden
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this still not supported? We are using AppVolumes in our lab with Windows 8.1. We are having issues with slow logins and black screens for 10-20 seconds. The black screen issue is a known with View 6.0.1 I believe.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Correct, Windows 8.x is not currently supported.

0 Kudos
snowman386
Contributor
Contributor

I understand you cannot give us exact dates and do not want to renege on a date you post here but what kind of timeframe are we talking for 8.1 support? Weeks, Months, Years? I think many of us here are eager to get started with appvols and are disappointed with the lack of 8.1 support.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I wish there was more info to share on 8.1 support.

Are you able to share more info on your installation? Why 8.1 in VDI (this is still a fairly rare occurrence in the market today), number of seats, etc? Happy to chat with you more offline as well.

0 Kudos
snowman386
Contributor
Contributor

We are able to do more with less using 8.1. It uses about 256MB less memory at idle than 7 and our users report that their desktops "feel" faster with windows 8.1 compared to 7 when VMs are provisioned with the same hardware specs. Yeah the new start menu/metro causes some confusion but less with 8.1 compared to 8.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Great feedback Snowman, thank you.

0 Kudos