VMware Horizon Community
rseekell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VSAN Error on App Volumes capture machine

We are evaluating App Volumes for Horizon View 7.  We had a vSAN cluster but migrated everything off to a SAN cluster. 

When choosing a certain capture VM on which to provision a new AppStack, we get this error in vCenter/vSphere (we have ESXi 6.5):

A general system error occurred: PBM error occurred during PreProcessReconfigureSpec: pbm.fault.PBMFault;

Error when trying to run pre-provision validation;

No VASA Provider for schema namespace (VSAN) found.

In App Volumes, it simply says:

Request Error:

Unable to mount provisioning volume "name of volume"

So now we cannot capture a new AppStack on this Windows 7 VM.  But we have a similar Windows 10 VM that is still capturing. And users can still access their existing AppStacks.

We had to relocate this capture machine, so maybe that’s why it’s complaining.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rseekell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, we solved it by a few means, and I'm not sure if one thing fixed it or the combination of all:

One was to reinstall the App Volumes Agent on the capture machine.

Another was to migrate the machine and in the process change the storage policy from "keep same as source" to "datacenter default".  (We're just starting with VMware/ESXi and haven't built any storage policies yet.)

The final was to make sure when creating the App Stack to choose a volume that the capture machine could access.  We have two clusters with separate storage, and the App Volumes can see both, but I was probably choosing a datastore for the App Stack that the capture VM could not access directly.  My chosen storage was on one cluster, but my chosen capture VM was on the other.

Hope this helps future App Volumes and VMware users!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check that your vSAN storage providers are registered correctly in vsphere

VMware vSphere 6.5 Documentation Library

0 Kudos
rseekell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We took down vSAN completely, so there are no storage providers to check.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In App Volumes manager  under Configuration -> Storage is your default storage location pointed to the correct vmfs volume? The type should be listed as "Type: VMFS - Share Mode: Shared"

0 Kudos
rseekell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, this is the correct volume, which is VMFS and Shared.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
rseekell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, we solved it by a few means, and I'm not sure if one thing fixed it or the combination of all:

One was to reinstall the App Volumes Agent on the capture machine.

Another was to migrate the machine and in the process change the storage policy from "keep same as source" to "datacenter default".  (We're just starting with VMware/ESXi and haven't built any storage policies yet.)

The final was to make sure when creating the App Stack to choose a volume that the capture machine could access.  We have two clusters with separate storage, and the App Volumes can see both, but I was probably choosing a datastore for the App Stack that the capture VM could not access directly.  My chosen storage was on one cluster, but my chosen capture VM was on the other.

Hope this helps future App Volumes and VMware users!

0 Kudos
obie3335
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just restarting the provisioning machine worked for me.

0 Kudos