VMware Horizon Community
matthiasFF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Appvolumes 2.7 | Linked-clone Horizon View Pool PROBLEMS

edit:

Well after some testing i noticed a few things. If i configure my pools to automatically Delete after logoff, the attached appstack, the .vmdk, GETS DELETED AS WELL! If i set to Refresh after logoff, the appstack stays attached to the linked clone and of course won't attach to another VM when i log in again!

I'm hoping i'm an idiot and some config is totally wrong. Any ideas?

edit2:

After changing the hypervisor config in Appvolumes Manager to mount over the vCenter (instead of on the hosts) i have the following problem when logging off my view session, when the linked clone is supposed to delete.

VIEW ADMIN:

2015-05-13 14_03_15-View Administrator.png

VCENTER:

2015-05-13 13_54_13-vCenter-02-TH37.furrerfrey.ch - vSphere Client.png

VMWARE-VIEWCOMPOSER.LOG

2015-05-13 13:18:24,383 | VC thread| FATAL | CommonLib.VcSubsystem.LroVcTask - Got VcFault: VMware.Sim.CommonLib.Exception.SimVcSubsystemException: Ein allgemeiner Systemfehler ist aufgetreten: Error deleting disk The disk cannot be deleted. ---> System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Ein allgemeiner Systemfehler ist aufgetreten: Error deleting disk The disk cannot be deleted.

--- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapel��wachung ---, Machine Name: vcenter.domain.local, Timestamp: 13.05.2015 11:18:24, App Domain Name: SviWebService.exe, Thread Identity: , Windows Identity: NT-AUTORITŔ\SYSTEM, OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1, vcFaultName:  vcFaultDetails: System.Xml.XmlElement for task: task-297041

2015-05-13 13:18:24,383 | VC thread| FATAL | ServiceCore.Action.VcAction - The VC Operation failed with error: VMware.Sim.CommonLib.Exception.SimVcSubsystemException: Ein allgemeiner Systemfehler ist aufgetreten: Error deleting disk The disk cannot be deleted. ---> System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Ein allgemeiner Systemfehler ist aufgetreten: Error deleting disk The disk cannot be deleted.

--- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapel��wachung ---, Machine Name: vcenter.domain.local, Timestamp: 13.05.2015 11:18:24, App Domain Name: SviWebService.exe, Thread Identity: , Windows Identity: NT-AUTORITŔ\SYSTEM, OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1, vcFaultName:  vcFaultDetails: System.Xml.XmlElement

====================================================================================================================================

I'm having trouble with Appvolumes since updating to 2.7 (manager, agent and appstacks). Manager is configured for vCenter, the service account has the correct permissions.

Sporadically appstacks will not attach and i'm seeing the following messages in the activity log, any ideas? They appear every 2-5 minutes for different linked clones.

May 13 2015 08:54AM

Unable to find known VM with InstanceUUID "501e3386-14f4-41d2-5b08-09b137f4xxxx" (templates? false)

Unable to find "Machine <Appvol-003> (501e3386-14f4-41d2-5b08-09b137f4xxxx)" on "esxi-05.domain.local" -- Using default hypervisor instead

Unable to find known VM with InstanceUUID "501e3386-14f4-41d2-5b08-09b137f4xxxx" (templates? false)

Unable to find "Machine <Appvol-003> (501e3386-14f4-41d2-5b08-09b137f4xxxx)" on "esxi-05.domain.local" -- Using default hypervisor instead

The agent logfiles are not to be found VMware KB: Location of VMware App Volumes log files in C:\Windows.

Running a Horizon View 6.0.1 environment with linked-clones.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
matthiasFF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just recieved an answer from VMware Technical Support:

This issue is resolved in the upcoming release version of AppVolumes 2.9.

I can confirm this issue is fixed in Appvolumes v2.9 (23.06.2015)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

I had the same problem, all my appstacks deleted with the linked clone. I created different  vcenter users for view and for AppVolumes, and I removed all rights for the view vcenter user on the Appvolumes datastores.

this solved it for me.

Kind regards

Cristiano

dmmcsherry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My guess is a configuration issue of some sort. Are you utilizing Storage Groups? If so, how are they setup?

0 Kudos
matthiasFF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmmm well it was working well before the upgrade.

After re-installing Appvolumes Manager on a fresh DB and not creating any storage groups, everything is working fine again. Very strange...

After configuring Storage groups, the problem occured again!

I've opened a support request.

0 Kudos
Joe3778
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm having the exact same issue.  Were you able to get an answer from VMware support?

My posting:

Missing Applicaiton VMDK files

0 Kudos
matthiasFF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well after recreating the issue for technical support over webex and lots of analyzing on their side, a PR was opened and engineering is working on a solution.

Last i heard from them was on 29.05.2015, but i can update this thread as soon as i get an answer if you want.

0 Kudos
Joe3778
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That would be awesome.  I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
matthiasFF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just recieved an answer from VMware Technical Support:

This issue is resolved in the upcoming release version of AppVolumes 2.9.

I can confirm this issue is fixed in Appvolumes v2.9 (23.06.2015)

0 Kudos
RickBoyett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did they give you a good work around until then?

========================================================================= Rick Boyett HP Enterprise Services Infrastructure Modernization (IMOD) VMware VCP 2, 3, 4 VMware VCAP-DCA4
0 Kudos
matthiasFF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nope... Thank god we aren't using Appvolumes in production yet (although we were planning on implementing it over a month ago).

0 Kudos
dmmcsherry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

App Volumes 2.9 is available, or will be later this evening/tomorrow:

App Volumes 2.9 Now Available! | VMware End-User Computing Blog - VMware Blogs

matthiasFF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great. Just downloaded the new release and will test my scenario on this version.

Resolved Issues

The following issues were resolved in this release:

• Active Directory Domain Controller unable to accept connection from App Volumes Manager due to multiple connections that are open while searching Active Directory objects.
  • Writable Volumes for users are not detached when users log off and log on quickly.
  • AppStacks that are part of a configured Storage Group are not detached during user logoff.
  • Deploying Visio 2010 through AppStaack with Microsoft Office 2010 in the base image causes Visio activation.
  • Multiple instances of deleted files exist in the Recycle Bin when AppStacks are attached.
  • F1 key fails to load the Help page when Microsoft Visio is deployed through AppStack.
  • Citrix Receiver fails to launch when deployed through an AppStack.
  • After capturing an application which contains a printer as part of the installation (Adobe Acrobat), the printer redirection does not work when this AppStack is attached.
  • Replication of AppStack metadata files fails between data stores when using Storage Groups.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Likewise I was also seeing this issue and have been working with support over the last week to try and resolve this. I am in the process of upgrading one of our affected sites and will report back to see if the new version (2.9) has fixed the issues for us.