VMware Horizon Community
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VHD In-Guest Services Physical machines is it worth doing ?

Hi All,

sorry I’ve been smashing the forums.

So before I start this side project thought I would ask the forum.

My agency is 90% physical hardware

windows 10 1709/1809

So lost the fight with VDI which sucks but if you can’t beat them take over them.

So as a trial I’m going to look at VHD and do a small test and build my case In terms of delivering applications.

So question is, this worth doing or am I just wasting my time ?

will be using Appvolumes 4.1

like I said will be Windows 10 1709/1809

whats the pros and cons

Any advise on how deploy a VHD to a corporate environment any info on this would be much appreciate.

I would love to make this work but would love some opinions on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I've been doing it for a few years now, and it works good for a bit, then you start getting more issues as time goes on. Take a look the windows 10 unified write filter, its something that free for certain licenses that can e you a non persistent state., you really don't want to try it without something like that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VirtualSpence
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Conceptually, this will work and VHDs are pretty easy to configure and deliver. I did some testing with App Volumes configured for VHD to share packages between my on-prem Horizon and Horizon Cloud Service on Microsoft Azure App Volumes implementations. However, App Volumes requires nonpersistent operating systems. Unless you're doing something like streaming np Win10 images to your physical PCs, this wouldn't be a supported configuration.

Josh Spencer Staff Architect – Technical Marketing End User Computing, VMware, Inc.
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I've been doing it for a few years now, and it works good for a bit, then you start getting more issues as time goes on. Take a look the windows 10 unified write filter, its something that free for certain licenses that can e you a non persistent state., you really don't want to try it without something like that.

0 Kudos
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So having a crack at this.

so far hit and miss, so for some reason current Appvolumes VHD 4.1 templates get assigned for provisioning I can see the CVapps drive but I didn’t get the GUI.

so got an older 4.0.1 Template now I get the GUI when in provisioning mode.

install apps as you do click ok to say I’m done and again to reboot.

it seems it cancels my package.

and looking at the server logs I get the following error

BaseAdapter method not implemented “volumes_capacity”

now I’ve been doing this stuff for a while now never seen this message before has anyone come across if so what was the fix ?

0 Kudos