VMware Horizon Community
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VDI Vmotion between hosts with appvolumes

Anything we need to consider here?

My server admin was doing some host work and put one into maintenance mode.  Ended up with a lot of errors on VMs during the vmotion all with Appstacks and writable volumes attached.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bleeder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2116782

I'm glad I check the VMware KB Digest regularly because this isn't listed in the known issues section of any of the release notes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm guessing the proper route is put the host in maintenance then rebalance the pools in view and force the users to log off. We're working on a best practice for these scenarios

0 Kudos
Bleeder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2116782

I'm glad I check the VMware KB Digest regularly because this isn't listed in the known issues section of any of the release notes.

0 Kudos
matthiasFF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does this apply to Appstacks as well? I sure hope the fuck not.

0 Kudos
dmmcsherry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The article states that "The above modification applies to Appstack volumes as well, however Appstack volumes opened in read-only mode makes it to support vMotion."

So I take that to mean that it will only be a problem for AppStacks during the provisioning mode when they are in a read/write state.

It also states that Storage vMotion will not work with either AppStacks or Writable Volumes: "App Volumes does not support Storage vMotion of virtual machines while AppStack volume or Writable Volume in use."

0 Kudos
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can confirm it hasn't affected our App Stacks, just the writable volumes.  Unfortunately this means writable volumes are out for us unless they can fix this, so the one group Writable volumes was needed for is now going to be on full clones now...

0 Kudos