VMware Horizon Community
BullpenDave
Contributor
Contributor

Using allvolattached.bat

My standard deployment involves using 3 AppStack assignments per user/group (each session gets 3 AppStacks). I've configured the "allvolattached.bat" batch file in 2 of the 3 AppStacks, but only 1 seems to be running. How does App Volumes handle multiple instances of this particular batch file? The user guide states that it is "called after all volumes have been processed," but if there are 3 instances of the batch file (in 3 separate AppStacks), will all 3 get called, or only 1?

7 Replies
VirtualSven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Only the last one will get called I believe.

Sven Huisman VMware vExpert 2009-2016 Twitter: @svenh blog: svenhuisman.com
0 Kudos
LukeK
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get this to run consistently? We had the same issue and are running with shellstart.bat and customizing the bat per appstack, because we were never able to control which appstack is attached as last and we did not want to maintain allvolattached.bat on all appstacks.

0 Kudos
BullpenDave
Contributor
Contributor

No. We also went with the shellstart.bat files instead.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Please have a look at this blog:

Cloning AppStacks and Modifying Scripts - VMware Consulting Blog - VMware Blogs

allvolsattached.bat runs under Windows USER. If multiple volumes are attached at the same time (i.e., during user logon), then this is called only once.

0 Kudos
LukeK
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Laksman. Yes, I have seen this, but this is not what I have experienced with 2.9. The blog and docs should say this is called only once with the last attached appstack. The only way I got this bat to work consistently was with the same bat in ALL appstacks or only attach one appstack with the bat. Even with precedence, I had no luck, because it never seemed to make a difference what settings I used in conjunction with allvolattached in only one appstack while attaching multiple appstacks. But even if precedence was working, it would be hard to manage appstacks by departments/BUs and appstacks with one off per user licenses and configure precedence for the entire department group.

May be in the feature request realm to improve this. Would have loved to use this and have AppVolumes recognize the existence of the bat in ANY appstack and some logic to run it after all appstacks attach.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

LukeK,

Could you check this behavior with 2.11 release please. There are bug fixes specific to allvolattached.bat file in the latest release.

Please have a look at the release notes here: VMware App Volumes 2.11 Release Notes

LukeK
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, we will vet it and test.

0 Kudos