VMware Horizon Community
icloudyou
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade AppStacks

Hey,

I have create some AppStacks and I need to upgrade one. On page 31 into the "app-volumes-user-guide.pdf" there is a procedure who call "Update an Appstack". They wrote on point 2 : On the VMware App Volume Manager page, click on the Management tab.

I search this management tab but I don't find it...

Somebody knows who is that? And is that possible to modifiy an existing appstacks?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

I think you are referring to the old 2.5 user guide. Please see page 28 of the latest 2.6 version here:

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/app-volumes-26-users-guide.pdf

Yes, you can update the existing AppStack. Please follow the below steps:

1. Click on 'Volumes' -> 'AppStacks'. Select the AppStack and click 'Update'

2. A copy of the existing AppStack is created. Provision the new AppStack to a VM for updating

3. Update the applications and reboot VM

4. Once the update is complete, the new AppStack is created with the name "AppStack-update"

5. Unassign the existing AppStack

6. Assign the new AppStack

icloudyou
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer, it works

0 Kudos
icloudyou
Contributor
Contributor

But now I have on the disk the old appstack named : appstack.vmdk and the new one named : appstack-update.vmdk. They all two have the same size. Can I delete the old one? And rename the file appstack.vmdk?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

1. Please test the new AppStack (appStack-update) first and confirm it is working

2. If any users are already using the old AppStack (appstack.vmdk), make sure to unassign on next logout.

3. Assign the new AppStack to users on next login

4. Delete old AppStack

5. Rename the new AppStack

0 Kudos