VMware Horizon Community
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrade 2.5.2 to 2.10

what is the recommended procedure to upgrade a 2.52 app volumes environment to 2.10?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Also, with the 2.5.2 version you cannot uninstall without detaching the appstacks and writable volumes.

They did change it in 2.6. You can now say that if you uninstall manager on the first server it is not the last server in the farm and it should not detach the appstack.

And we did the exact same thing as you said. We have 2 managers behind loadbalancer and uninstalled the first (after removing from loadbalancer) updated it, directed to that one and updated the other one.

But from 2.5.2 to 2.10 is to big of a step i guess. And if Guarav says that the database will be updated I would just uninstall both off hours and update them after that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have a look at Page #23 http://pubs.vmware.com/appvolumes-210/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/App-Volumes-User-Guide.pdf

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Gaurav. I know this guide.

I was wondering if it is still supported to update that old version (2.5.2) to 2.10.

And also what the risk would be of breaking things. Would it be better to create a separate environment or can I just go ahead and update the production environment?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would always suggest first testing the ugrade in a test enviornment before upgrading production.

Regardig updating the agent and the manager. Keep in mind that you need to uninstall the manager before installing the new version. The old Appvolumes manager will detach all active appstacks from machines (this is fixed in 2.6 I believe as you can choose if it is the last active server). Database wyse the enviornment hasn't changed that much so my guess is that it will normally function quite well.

Only thing you might want to test is if the older appstacks, based on the 2.5.1 template, still work with the 2.10 agent on the machine. That might be the only thing that needs to be updated, the appstacks.

0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the usefull information Ray.

I have now 2 app volumes managers 2.5.2 behind a loadbalancer.

Is it possible to uninstall the first one, reinstall it with the 2.10 version and then do the same for the second manager? In this scenario I avoid all appstacks being detached.

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Prerequisites

Detach all volumes before you upgrade the App Volumes Manager.

During the upgrade process the Database is actually updated so it is best to Upgrade after detaching all of the Volumes.

It would not take much time for Uninstall and reinstall.

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Also, with the 2.5.2 version you cannot uninstall without detaching the appstacks and writable volumes.

They did change it in 2.6. You can now say that if you uninstall manager on the first server it is not the last server in the farm and it should not detach the appstack.

And we did the exact same thing as you said. We have 2 managers behind loadbalancer and uninstalled the first (after removing from loadbalancer) updated it, directed to that one and updated the other one.

But from 2.5.2 to 2.10 is to big of a step i guess. And if Guarav says that the database will be updated I would just uninstall both off hours and update them after that.

0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Ray and Gaurav for the detailed information!

0 Kudos