VMware Horizon Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Unable to login to APPVOL Console

Nothing has changed and neither has my admin password but all of the sudden i cannot access the console anymore.  Getting the message "you are not authorized to login".  Any thoughts??  Local admin getting same message

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

App Volumes stores the user DN value in the 'Users' database table.  When an user is moved from one OU to another OU, the user's DN value in the AD will change. Due to this, App Volumes can have trouble in finding the user. To resolve, the 'Users' database table needs to be updated with the new DN value.

Please read this blog that explains this problem in detail.

App Volumes AD Objects Move Issue - VMware Consulting Blog - VMware Blogs

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What is the AV version? Have you checked the logs? Might be an AD issue

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

9.21 and i haven't checked the logs

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is what i see in teh logs.  Have no idea what group but i'm the only one that touches this and i haven't changed anything.

2018-02-07 19:17:06 UTC]     P1044R14  INFO    Manager: Existing "User <NEURO\prutteradmin>" logged in

[2018-02-07 19:17:06 UTC]     P1044R14  WARN    Manager: Prevented "User <NEURO\prutteradmin>" from logging in because it is not a member of any groups associated with the roles configured

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

From the logs, looks like 'Administrator Roles' are configured for a specific AD group and you are not a part of that group. Could you check with other user/admin who are able to log?

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i moved my AD user from the original OU to a test OU last week and I just moved it back to it's original location today.  That's what must have caused it but i'm a bit confused. 

Why would moving my AD admin account to a test OU cause this issue?  I am still in the Domain Admins Group.  Can anyone help me understand this??  thanks

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

App Volumes stores the user DN value in the 'Users' database table.  When an user is moved from one OU to another OU, the user's DN value in the AD will change. Due to this, App Volumes can have trouble in finding the user. To resolve, the 'Users' database table needs to be updated with the new DN value.

Please read this blog that explains this problem in detail.

App Volumes AD Objects Move Issue - VMware Consulting Blog - VMware Blogs

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick and correct response.  I appreciate it very much.  Good info!

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
mlmicah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This link is broken, and I'm experiencing the same issue. Any way you still have access to the knowledge?

0 Kudos
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi @mlmicah,

First of all take a backup of the database.

1. Launch SQL Server Management Studio. Go to Start > SQL Server Management Studio.
  2. Click File, and then click Connect to Server.
  3. Type the App Volumes Manager database name, and type the database login credentials.
  4. Click Connect. You are connected to the database.

Once connected, you can edit the "distinguished_name" for the affected AD Group in the table 'dbo.groups'. Otherwise, you can edit the "distinguished_name" for the affected AD User in the table 'dbo.users'.

0 Kudos