VMware Horizon Community
cdl_0007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to create AppStack

hi,

I'm currently evaluating AppVolumes on a simple environment with default settings "setup.exe + next, next", very easy to install !

When i try to create my first  AppStack the "create" button is greyed out, no templates found appear in the dropdown template.

something i miss ?

PS : it will be very nice to have a getting started guide for provisionning app stack

Thanks for your help.

Christophe

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You likely just missed the import of the templates in the Storage configuration. If you go to the Configuration> Storage tab there is a upload templates button. click that and you should be good to go.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You likely just missed the import of the templates in the Storage configuration. If you go to the Configuration> Storage tab there is a upload templates button. click that and you should be good to go.

cdl_0007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Jason,

i have same issue when i try to create writable volume, "source Template = no template found". how can i fix it ?

Christophe

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"
0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey,

What happens is that when you go to the Storage tab and click "Upload Prepackaged Volumes" is that a folder is created on your datastore that you selected that looks like \VMFS\Datastore\CloudVolumes\Writable_Templates.

In this folder there should be at least one file (and if you copied all three templates there should be three there). If you create a writable volume a copy is being made of one of these three files (the one you selected when creating a new writable volume) and copied to the \VMFS\Datastore\CloudVolumes\Writable folder..

Do make sure that this path is the same as the path shown in the storage tab under the Templates Path.

cdl_0007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ray, for some reason (?) these three files were not in the right place.

i've re-imported and it's fixed.

Thanks !

Christophe

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Could it be that you've changed the default templates folder after installation of the Appvolumes manager? This could be the cause.

Also, the path is somehwat confusing because they haven't change the folder name into AppVolumes yet Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos
cdl_0007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The writable volume for users were created with success but they are not attached to VM's.  Status in "App Volume Manager" is "detached", something i missed ?

Christophe

0 Kudos
hockeyguyin714
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are you using an evaluation license?  If so only one AppStack or Writeable Volume can be attached at a time with that license.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Detached doesn't mean your license is incorrect. It means that your default folder of the writable volume is off and i can't seem to find them.

If you go to that storage tab what is the value for default folder? The writable volumes should be in this folder. If this is not case the case make sure to change the default folder to the folder the writable volumes reside in and after you changed the default path make sure to rescan the Datastore in the writable volumes tab (in the top right corner).

Normally it should import/attach the writable volumes after that and the status of the writable volume should be Enabled. If you then log in with your account it should be changed to attached (the status that is Smiley Happy)

0 Kudos
cdl_0007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

path seems to be ok

see attached screenshot

Christophe

0 Kudos
hockeyguyin714
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If the Writeable Volume was moved from the default location it would list as disabled. Detach status means it is not attached to any VM and is default when user is not logged in.  If you are like you stated previously evaluating and using an evaluation license you can only have 1 Writeable Volume or 1 AppStack at a time not both.  If you are using Computer based assignment this would also cause you to fail to attach a Writeable Volume.  If you assigned the Writeable Volume after the user is logged in with an AppStack it will not attach.  You will need to restart in that scenario.

Evaluation license may changed in the future to allow 1 AppStack and 1 Writeable Volume.

Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yeah, misread that part of the evalution.. We have a full license so i don't see the eval thingy Smiley Happy

And the status is enabled??

If so i would indeed, as hockey stated, unassign the appstack.

0 Kudos
cdl_0007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"evaluation license you can only have 1 Writeable Volume or 1 AppStack at a time not both"

i confirm thanks hockey for the clarification. I would be really happy to get a license for this assessment without limitation :smileylaugh:

"If you are using Computer based assignment this would also cause you to fail to attach a Writeable Volume"

what does that mean?  writables volumes can be used only with apps stack users assignment ?

Christophe.

0 Kudos
hockeyguyin714
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

"If you are using Computer based assignment this would also cause you to fail to attach a Writeable Volume"

what does that mean?  writables volumes can be used only with apps stack users assignment ?

To clarify if your AppStacks are assigned by Computer, Writeable Volumes will not attach.  This is a safety feature as Writeable Volumes have to attach first before AppStacks.

That would also be why if a usr is logged in with AppStacks attached and you try to add a Writeable Volume it would not attach until a restart.

cdl_0007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Hokey,

it will be very useful if you can notify when the new license model is available.

Thanks

Christophe

0 Kudos