VMware Horizon Community
MrCheesecake
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

USB redirection when Horizon Client deployed by App Volumes (Nested Configuration)

Greetings, friends!

I am experimenting with the setup documented here:  https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/80509

On my "First Hop Desktop", I deploy the Horizon Client via AppVol.  When I packaged the app, I verified that the default USB redirection setting was enabled.  However, when the client is provisioned to the desktop, it acts/looks like it is not- I do not get the USB Devices tab when connecting to the Second Hop system.

Prior to deploying via AppVol, I manually installed the same Horizon Client (same settings) on a "First Hop" desktop and successfully had USB redirection functionality when connecting to a "Second Hop Desktop".  

Both desktops are Win1022H2 with the latest/greatest versions of Horizon and AppVol.  As I'm typing this out, I'm wondering if the issue is because my AppVol provisioning machine does not run the Horizon Agent (Per AppVol best practices) so I'll test this out next week and report back.  If anyone else has played around with this, and/or found a workaround, I'd love to hear about it.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MrCheesecake
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Quick update...

Installing the Horizon agent on my AppVol provisioning machine's base image before packaging the Horizon Client did not help.  I have made some progress by making some modifications to the snapvol.cfg file by commenting out the default exclusion for the following 2 keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM

By doing this on both my provisioning machine baseline (before packaging) and on my normal base, I now get the menu/dropdown for USB devices but something still seems off.  I'll keep digging and will provide updates as I have them.

As always, any pointers/ideas are welcome!

0 Kudos