VMware Horizon Community
Mark808
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

System Message: Unhandled request exception: undefined method `ngvc?' for nil:NilClass

After upgrading to Appvolumes 2.13.1.4 from 2.12.1 I started periodically receiving the message above in my AppVol system messages.

Anyone know what this is about?

I have also been seeing "Last User Login already ended, no previous log record to match User Logout for User..." periodically but the times do not correlate unhandled request message.

-Mark

Horizon 7.1.0 Instant clones

UEM 9.2.1

AppVol 2.12.1 + Writable Volumes

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Mark808

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Starting about a month after upgrading to 2.13.1, some of our users were reporting that they were getting an error 500, virtualization is disabled. When this happens the user doesn't get any applications. Looking into the logs, we get the same error that you're seeing. I put a support ticket in, and this is what I heard back. We're not able to change the pool's naming convention, but I was able to isolate the handful of problematic machines, and essentially make them unavailable to the end user. I heard from another tech, that they're currently testing the hot fix, and he verified that it resolved the errors he was getting. I hope to get my hands on the fix next week and implement it asap.

"I see from the case description some VDI desktops are throwing an Error 500 message upon log in. Inside the corresponding App Volumes Manager logs you are also seeing the error 'Unhandled request exception: undefined method `ngvc?' for nil:NilClass' followed by a stack trace. This is currently a known issue in the 2.13.1 App Volumes version. During the upgrade VMs that were reported offline by the manager, were powered off or in the middle of a refresh/recompose will keep throwing this error. . To work around the issue you could also take one of the following action plans:

1. How long ago was App Volumes upgraded? If yesterday or this week you could explore the option of downgrading back to App Volumes 2.12.1

2. How many VDI desktop pools are affected? You can also change the naming convention for the VDI desktop pools affected and when the new names provision they will create new entries inside the App Volumes Manager DB and the issue will not be seen for the new desktops.
es 2.12.1"

Thanks,

Mike

parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As updates received from VMware Tech support team, This is currently a known issue in the 2.13.1 App Volumes version. During the upgrade VMs that were reported offline by the manager, were powered off or in the middle of a refresh/recompose will keep throwing this error. As a workaround until the resolution, need to downgrade the App volumes to 2.12.1

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
Mark808
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks MikeC3964.

Changing the Naming Pattern under the pool Provisioning Settings is a good temporary trick and is working for us now until a hot fix or new release is announced.  Going back to 2.12.1 was not a good option for us.

Mahalo

-Mark

0 Kudos
DanielVL88
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mike,

Can you let me know if you received a hotfix for this problem? We also experience the same issue.

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi DanielVL88​,

VMware provided me the hotfix which came as the 2.13.2 build last week. We installed the hotfix, and rebooted all of the VM's and everything was resolved after. No more Error500 and the undefined method 'ngvc?' for nil:NilClass error, that was all over my "system Messages in App Volumes manager.

Thanks!

Mike

0 Kudos
DanielVL88
Contributor
Contributor

Hi MikeC3964

Is this hotfix only available through VMware support? I can't seem to find the 2.13.2 version of AppVolumes.

I only have VMware support through HPE, which is a bummer when you need a quick fix :smileyplain:

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi DanielVL88​,

Yes, right now it's only through VMware support. I'm not sure when they'll make it GA, but a fix is out there Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Mike

Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We are trying to upgrade the manager to the 2.13.1 but I'm a bit reluctant to do so because of this issue.

Do you guys use instant Clone or linked clone? We are using Linked Cones (gotta love vGPU) and I'm not quite sure issue is also seen with linked clones instead of an instant clone issue only.

0 Kudos
DanielVL88
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ray,

I'm using linked clones. I think it's better to wait for a new version.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just out of curiosity, who is using the 2.13.2.13 manager version? And do you guys happen to have some issues with it? Or does it work flawlessly?

0 Kudos