VMware Horizon Community
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sync computer accounts still has old machines

Hi All,

Currently playing in my DEV environment.

Which is running AppVolumes 2.14

My Production is running AppVolumes 2.13.2 but I seem to have over 5000 machines even tho I only have 300 online working.

So doing a test in DEV before we deploy to production.

Currently I have 24 machines running online so to make sure the Database is fine I created multiple desktop pools to get the numbers up I currently have 85 machines.

So I have deleted my test pools and should be back to only 24 machines again but each time the system Syncs with AD its syncing 85 machine even tho we only have 24 ??

Now my Home page on Appvolumes shows Computer Utilization 85 machines which I’m expecting that number to come down to 24 again.

Am I doing something wrong here I thought Appvolumes 2.13.3 had this issue sorted or at least now 2.14.

Thanks in advanced

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cleaning up some old threads I’ve created.

this has been fixed with newer version of Appvol cleaning itself with the database.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You deleted your pools, but are the computer objects still in AD? I've deleted pools before and the AD object where still there. If they are appvolumes would still report them as being valid I think

0 Kudos
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That was the first thing i checked.

No gone from AD so how is it still finding the phantom machines i know i can run a SQL line to remove them but i thought Appvolumes now had the smarts to remove old objects.

0 Kudos
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok been playing around in DEV i have removed all the machines that are offline

So in DEV i had 85 machines but only 24 online.

Ran the following '

C:\Program Files(x86)\CloudVolumes\Manager>ruby\bin\ruby.exe script\rails console

Run

ap Computer.offline.delete_all

This command removes all the old ghost machines now i dont know if this will cause any issues but Appvolumes should remove these old ghost machines.

0 Kudos
howde
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is a very interesting thought. Are these commands technically even supported by VMware? I wanted to experiement with this after reading this post but I find documentation on ruby on rails limited online. Are you aware of what the syntax would be to delete a single host from the DB vs. the delete all offline command?

I hate the log spam generated by these offline machines and it would be great if VMware had some sort of TTL check on disconnected values that got deleted via a scheduled task on back end every week or something like that.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure they aren't but I've used them before. I found one really old powerpoint on the ruby commands and that was all.

0 Kudos
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cleaning up some old threads I’ve created.

this has been fixed with newer version of Appvol cleaning itself with the database.

0 Kudos