VMware Horizon Community
Lackero
Contributor
Contributor

Strange system messages in App Volumes 2012 manager

Hello,

we are getting strange system messages in App Volumes 2012 manager server when new instant clones (windows 10 1909 / agent 2.18.6 / Horizon 7.12) are deployed.

Unable to find VM with InstanceUUID "503c8321-22d3-47f8-079b-31fe50805320"
Unable to locate "Machine <vic-des1-1092> (503c8321-22d3-47f8-079b-31fe50805320)" on "XXXX.XXX.de" -- Attempting with default hypervisor

So far everything works fine but this messages are a bit confusing.
Does anyone know this problem?

Regards

Markus

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ryanapg
Contributor
Contributor

Getting the same messages

0 Kudos
tscnetworksuppo
Contributor
Contributor

Did anyone have a resolution to this? I am not getting the same message, but only for VMs that live on a specific host. We have nine host servers and only one is having a problem.

0 Kudos
Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The last time I saw this, I seem to remember it was one of the following missing:

This looks to be a Horizon Pool/Image issue

• Missing Gold Image snapshot from one of your pools
  • Missing an old Image/snap from a pool that is still pointing to them

I would start there and make sure your pools are running with out errors.

VMware EUC by Broadcom
https://techzone.vmware.com/
0 Kudos
tscnetworksuppo
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, that's not it, for me. All VMs have the golden image and snapshots available. In my case, I am seeing this when VMs are running on one particular host server. If the VMs are moved to a different host, everything works as expected. I just opened a case with VMware, so I guess I'll wait to see what they say. 

I am running Windows 10 1809 LTSC and Windows 10 21H2 LTSC for the desktop pools, App Volumes 2103 and Horizon 2111 on ESXi 6.5.0 U3. I have updates to apply to the other hosts, but I don't have enough resources available to perform the updates since I'm essentially down a host.

0 Kudos
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This message is just an indication that the machine has not been found on ESXi and still exists on AD and vCenter. However, App Volume maintains an automated refresh to ensure the latest state of machines are fetched [ Job Name: "Refresh Computer" and "Refresh Machines" ] this runs periodically and fetches the current state of the machines and updates the App volume UI --> Directory --> Computer --> Computername [Online or Offline] and also at App volume UI --> Infrastructure --> Machines [Existing or Disabled ]

This should not be causing any real issue unless you are seeing it in large numbers. 

0 Kudos
tscnetworksuppo
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by not being found in ESXi. If I log into the ESXi interface of the host server, I see the VMs showing up, the same way they show up in vSphere under the same host server. I've attached a screen clip showing this.

As I stated, this is only a problem for any VM that gets assigned to this host server. I've also noticed that typically when a VDI VM is logged out, it will refresh (as expected), but the cluster will try to load balance all VMs across all host servers. This server has not had any other VMs assigned to it and the VDI installment gets used by many students throughout the day. It's almost like, even though the server is being seen by all systems, it's not being recognized as functional. 

I'll admit I know enough to keep it running and do some minor fixes, but this problem is new to me. I've also included a screen clip of the error I get when I log into a VM assigned to this particular host erver.

0 Kudos
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for validating it. Do you have the mount on ESXi host option enabled on app vol and have same root password across the hosts? Also could you please open https;//appvolfqdn/log and search for the VM which shows error 500, may I know what message do you see here?

0 Kudos
tscnetworksuppo
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, Mount ESXI is enabled and the password is the same across all hosts. I have also attached a sanitized text file of the portion of the log file that was captured just after logging into VM and having the failure message pop up. 

0 Kudos
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I see the error has occurred due to a missing certificate authority certificate. 

You can perform the following steps on the app volume manager server: 

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Select System
  3. Click the Advanced system settings link.
  4. Click Environment Variables. In the section System Variables, Click New.
  5. In the New System Variable window, specify the value of  Variable Name as AVM_DISABLE_VCENTER_SSL_VALIDATION and specify the Variable Value as 1
  6. Click OK. Close all remaining windows by clicking OK.
0 Kudos
tscnetworksuppo
Contributor
Contributor

I have the environment variable set now, but I am not able to restart the server for another few hours. I did restart the AppVolumes Manager service, but I am still getting the error about the certificate. I'll have to wait to restart the server and try again. 

This doesn't really explain why it is only happening on one host and not the others, which is what I find odd.

0 Kudos
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just to elaborate on this, the certificate of hypervisor was not trusted by app volume server, generally having a chain of vc certificate and root cert together as cacert.pem and adding it on app vol config folder is something required here. Since this certificate warning shown on esxi url i suggested quick and easy fix turning off cert validation