VMware Horizon Community
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Storage Groups

Hi. I created a SG for my AppStacks. Now, I'd like to remove two of the datastores from that SG. I can edit the properties of the SG and uncheck the 2 datastores no problem. What I notice is that the AppStack files (vmdk's) still exist in the 2 datastores I unchecked. I was hoping they would be deleted from those 2 datastores. When I take a look at an AppStack on click Locations, it still shows all 4 datastores (there was originally 4 datastores in the SG). I was hoping it would only show the updated 2 datastore Locations (which is the new # of datastores in the SG).

How can I ensure the AppStack files are deleted from the datastores of the SG's I unchecked, and ensure each AppStack now just shows the correct # of datastores?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Maybe Jason can elaborate on this one but my guess is you can't or at least Appvolumes doesn;t remove these Appstack on changing Datastores, they only copy (or sync) the files from the datastore you package on to all other datastores in the StorageGroup.

If it doesn't remove automaically you have 2 options thoug.

backup the appstack (just copy it) to a location outside of the appstack store, remove the appstack from the manager, this will remove all 4 VMDK's, copy the appstack back and sync, it will then be added automatically. Second will be to manually remove the appstacks and do the exact same sync. Not quite sure if the Database will be updated after this.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

AppVolumes 2.10 does not support deleting replicated AppStacks from the datastores that are unchecked from storage group.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks for the info Lakshman. So he's stuck with either of 2 proposed solutions.

What would be best or is recommended by VMWare?

My bet would be to remove the Appstacks from the datastores that you removed from the storage group and resync but would AppVolumes see this as a removed appstack? Or will it still see this as a datastore that holds the Appstack?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

I'm not sure how AppVolumes will see the datastore after manually removing AppStacks. Need to check.

However, the AppStack location should show as 2 instead of 4.

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I just posed this same question/problem a few weeks ago to VMware.  Final word was you can deprecate datastores in 2.10.0 (and earlier), manually remove the stacks from that old datastore, but there's no way in the AppVolumes GUI to remove the reference to the old location (short of updating/cloning the stack, sealing with no changes and using the "new" one instead").  You could remove the reference in the SQL database, but since it's just cosmetic that workaround is too risky for me.  Supposedly this will be fixed, maybe in 2.11, not sure.  I don't know how or if it's been addressed in 3.x, though.

0 Kudos