VMware Horizon Community
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Status on Office 2019 and AppVolumes?

Already almost a year ago our organisation made the decision to switch to Office 2019.

For now we ware able to convince management to stay on 2016 for VDI, but not any more. We need to switch to Office 2019 on VDI to!

What's the status on Office 2019 for VDI and more specifically on AppVolumes? We need to switch or drop VMware VDI all together and switch to other sollutions.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

HI,

this can be useful for you:

Best Practices for Delivering Microsoft Office 365 in VMware Horizon 7 | VMware

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks, but we already seen that info. However we are not able to switch to Office 356 due to 3th party software requirements. We are bound to use Office 2019.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Why not just install office in the base image. You won't get a forward looking statement from VMware here in most cases(I don't work for VMware) so I'm not sure someone will directly answer your question. I have seen though in general when office doesn't work in appvolumes it at least works if you install it in the parent image so it bypasses appvolumes all together.

0 Kudos
Anobix67
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Agreed on that, I figure that something like Office fits easily into the 80/20 rule where [at least] 80% of people will be using office you may as well include it in the template. Especially for something that hooks into the OS like that.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Looks like they added it in the lastest version of 4

VMware App Volumes 4, version 2006 Release Notes

0 Kudos
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can confirm all seems to be working including Visio.

issue i have currently it’s taking a long time to open Visio not responding

also my VM 4vcpu and 16gig ram on windows 10 1809 was getting smashed so will keep working on it.

0 Kudos