VMware Horizon Community
K_Miller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Startup failure when upgrading to 2.6 - unable to start appvolumes manager

I have been trying to upgrade our appvolumes manager to 2.6 from 2.5.2. After uninstalling the old manager and rebooting the server freezes during the reboot. I have tried stopping the services before performing the uninstall but it still freezes. I have also tried rebooting the server while it is frozen and the server subsequently boots. After the reboot I am able to install 2.6 and point it to the existing database however when the install completes and the server starts I receive a startup failure error.

pastedImage_0.png

2 Replies
ggordon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just got a call from someone who hit this issue when upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6.

They were initially installing while RDPing to the server. While the install completed showing no errors they hit the same error when trying to start the manager. The fix was to access the console of server via the vSphere Web Client and run the install from there. This completes and you should be able to start the manager with no errors.

I'm not sure what exactly is going wrong but as a rule I tend to use the actual console when installing software. Using RDP even with the /admin switch I have seen software installs fail.

K_Miller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The issue has been resolved. I'm not sure which change resolved the issue but I verified the database credentials and permissions, Performed the install from the console and did not reboot the server after the uninstall.