VMware Horizon Community
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Start Menu shortcut deletion bug when provisioning an App Stack?

When provisioning a stack some applications install shortcuts to the Start Menu that I'd really rather just delete.  Problem is, I can't.  I get pop up messages saying, essentially, I don't have the rights/permissions to.  I can create new Start Menu shortcuts, etc, but I am unable to delete any that are created by apps I am installing during the provisioning phase.  I'm pretty sure that's not intentional...

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Maybe this is far feched but if you install the applications for all users (the allusers=1) then the start menu icons are placed in the public start menu. If you create one manually it will be placed in your own start menu profile folder. Could it be you don't have correct permissions??

Files are in this folder C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu. What happens if you try to delete the shortcuts there??

I never had an issue with deleting shortcuts to be honest.

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Shortcuts I'm referring to are the ones in the public start menu.  The only shortcuts affected are ones for the application being installed.  Permissions shouldn't be an issue since I'm installing as an admin.  Even so, I manually changed permissions on the folders to give my user explicit permissions, but it did not make any difference.

I swear I could do this before, so it's only something I've seen since either updating to 2.5.2, or with apps provisioned on the 2.5.1 template.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

this should not be happening as we are not changing any of those permissions during the provisioning process. But you did mention in another post you had been using different templates with different versions and while that should not be it, would be good to check that. Make sure it's all 2.5.2 and still not letting you delete the shortcut.

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm definitely using the newest template, but the issue seems to only affect some directories. I just happened to notice it with one or two apps, I guess. Probably more fringe than I originally thought.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you share the apps names?

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I should have taken better notes, so the only one that springs to mind was Oracle 11gR2 (for the Instant Client, I think, but using the full installer).  All those Oracle/Java installers are garbage, so don't stress too much about this one.  If it happens again I'll take better notes.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You are correct on that but this is part of the App Volumes magic. I will ask QE to take a look at that client and see what happens on our end.

0 Kudos