VMware Horizon Community
mambo785
Contributor
Contributor

Snapvol.cfg - App Volumes 4

Hi everyone,

I am packaging on App Volumes 4.

For one appstack, I need to add a string to this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows, but it does not get captured during packaging.

I have checked the exclusions in C:\Program Files (x86)\CloudVolumes\Agent\Config\Default\snapvol.cfg, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies is excluded there. I have removed the exclusion from this file and it did not help. Then I tried to create Custom folder with exclusions, following this article and it also did not help.

When reading posts about App Volumes 2.x, looks like there was  snapvol.cfg directly in each appstack (C:\snapvolumestemp), but that's not the case for me.

What is the correct path for editing exclusions via snapvol.cfg in App Volumes 4?

Thank a lot.

Best,Martin

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This was from an exclusion for a printer problem, location is off course the same.

--------------

C:\Program Files (x86)\CloudVolumes\Agent\Config\Custom\app\

And then add these lines in it, that did the trick for us.

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider

exclude_path=%SystemtRoot%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Printers

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\DeviceContainers

------------------

That being said, I would not suggest adding those settings into the appstack. Way back this setting was not in the snapvol.cfg and we were unable to deliver GPO settings to a user because they were not being detained after logging in with an appstack so I would suggest trying to get that setting there using another way like for example a GPO (you can use DEM fot that). Do not try and inject policy settings within an appstack without using GPO's for that,

mambo785
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @Ray_handels

thanks a lot for your comment.

I have tried to copy the exclusion file to C:\Program Files (x86)\CloudVolumes\Agent\Config\Custom\app\ (and commented out the lines with the registry hives I needed to be captured), but the result is still the same, the values are still not present in the appstack.

I tried to copy the exclusion file also in this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\CloudVolumes\Agent\Config\Custom\provisioning , but that also did not help.

To be more clear, what I need to achieve, is to disable the Plug & Play service for smart cards, i.e. add these two values to registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\ScPnP] "EnableScPnP"=dword:00000000 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\ScPnP] "EnableScPnP"=dword:00000000

But as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\ and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\ are excluded by default, it does not get captured.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm not 100% sure but my guess is that if an exclude is added to one of these folders (C:\Program Files (x86)\CloudVolumes\Agent\Config\Default) it will take precedence over the custom one.

Still, I would not suggest using the policies key you are using now to set a service as started. There are other registry keys to set a service to started,

Skocza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ray would there be a way to deliver the same exclusion for appvol agent 2.x, for agent, not within the appstacks, so means as above, to add for agent (path) in the master image itself?

You mentioned GPO, so by GPO how would you deliver those? Just to extracted snapvol.cfg, changed for whatever you need (exclusions added) and then delivered by GPO or DEM?

In our environment we need to deliver the fix by excluding some lines for appvolumes and that would means to deliver that extra (clear) appstack with those settings, which we want avoid and rather to add it into the 2.x agent (2.18) instead.

Thanks for advise

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No it is not possiblew to do it like that.

If you need to change an appstack with a snapvol.cfg it means manually editing the appstack after you create an updated version of the Appstack. For writables you could use the upload file option within the maager. a GPO does NOT change anything in regards to the snapvol.cfg in the appstack itself.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos