VMware Horizon Community
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Slow startup of Crystal Reports

Hey guys,

Has someone packaged Crystal Reports and does this work well? I am able to package Crystal Reports and when i startup the application in the packaging machine it starts up rather quickly (few seconds). If I assign the appstack to a user and he then starts up the application in his VDI the application starts up very slowly. It takes up to 1,5 minute to start it up and this is every time you start up the application so it's not an issue of user settings being created (those should be done the first time).

I do see the crystal process hogging up one of our CPU's entirely when starting up (and thus taking up to 50% CPU time of the machine) but startup is very very slow.

And tips/hints are appreciated.

Ray

4 Replies
anvr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Ray,

Support VMware gives the following to try.

For a test, before Crystal Reports launch, create a registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAP BusinessObjects\Suite XI 4.0\Crystal Reports, and set a DWORD value named DisableCheckForUpdates to 1

I tested but still slowly.

Ronny

Hogeschool van Arnhem en Nijmegen.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yup, same answer here. But to no avail as I allready tested that setting (and told them that I tested that setting).

I also tried the following but to no avail.

- You can change the registry value for HKEY_CURRENT_USER|Software|Business Objects|Suite 12.0|Crystal Reports|StartPage can be set to No to prevent the Online Resources from displaying. Crystal Reports should not be running when you make the change.

We are still in the process of looking into it with support and send them a procmon log of both Appvolumes and no appvolumes installation and startup of Crystal Reports. We are still waiting for a reaction. If we receive some more info we will let you know.

kengel
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this problem as well, has anyone found a solution for this?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The issue is that it tries to emulate all registry keys in the writable volume and tries to let them communicate with all other appstacks.

There is a key that can enable a setting that registry keys are no longer shared or used between appstacks. Just try to create an SR and reference to this and you should be able to get the correct information.

Just one thing though. It could cause other issues with applications not being able to work correctly between appstacks because of this. That's why it needs to used with care.

0 Kudos