VMware Horizon Community
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Should we update the templates as well when updating the App Volumes application?

I did this, but I don't know if there's any reason to.  I uploaded the new templates into my Manager after updating to 2.5.2, really just to see if they were any different.  Turns out the templates are versioned as well. 2.5.0's release template was 2.5.0, but 2.5.2's release templates are version 2.5.1.  I'd guess there must be some difference to them if they get their own version number, so can anyone shed any light on what changes could/would be made to a template, and is updating them recommended?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We are working VERY hard to be able to keep the templates consistent across minor versions. That said it is not always easy to do. Ideally you should update templates with an upgrade. This will be added to the user guide tomorrow..

That said the release notes are sparse and that is a VMware practice. Ray you are used to the CloudVolumes RN's and we went overboard on those.:smileygrin: To that end the User Guide has been drastically reworked with tons more info and tip/tricks added for the 2.6 release coming soon.

Late nights just about every night but hopefully you are all seeing the improvements being made. Some slower than others but we are getting there!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Agree on that one.

Normally we do update the template files when a new version is released because i do understand that changes are often made in the snapvol.cfg file which says what files are excluded and what not.

I also saw a change in the 2.5,1 version which makes me believe you do need to change the template files. Jason, can you shed some light on it? And maybe have some more detailed info on release notes? They are not that specific now to be honest Smiley Happy.

* Added a new registry value VolDelayLoadTime under can be used to delay loading of AppStacks until after user login to avoid impacting login time.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We are working VERY hard to be able to keep the templates consistent across minor versions. That said it is not always easy to do. Ideally you should update templates with an upgrade. This will be added to the user guide tomorrow..

That said the release notes are sparse and that is a VMware practice. Ray you are used to the CloudVolumes RN's and we went overboard on those.:smileygrin: To that end the User Guide has been drastically reworked with tons more info and tip/tricks added for the 2.6 release coming soon.

Late nights just about every night but hopefully you are all seeing the improvements being made. Some slower than others but we are getting there!

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

TThe progress is definitely noticeable!  So many things were resolved in just a minor point release that now I'm really looking forward to 2.6 🙂

Your team is killing it and I really appreciate it. I've been waiting for a solution like this for so long and now that I'm almost there, I'm only looking forward. If I'm going a little nuts with the forum posts I hope that helps explain it. Plus I'll have a new baby in the next week, so my capacity for logic and time to concentrate is rapidly coming to an end.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Well some serious congrats are in order!!! so sounds like we have limited time to get you up and running. I'll try and be more attentive in the coming weeks Smiley Wink

And thank you for the kind words I will be sharing with the team.

and yes 2.6 will intro some cool stuff and 3.0 is around the corner and it will change the game.. Again...

0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jason,

Can you give us an idea on when 2.6 and version 3 will be released?

Keep up the good work 🙂

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I agree with you on that one JHT and gratz with the little offspring Smiley Happy

I luckily had my fair share of crying babies  Smiley Happy Only crying babies we have now is the userbase Smiley Happy.

I am also looking forward to version 2.6 but because we have been with Cloudvolumes for quite some time now I know how quick things can be fixed there. I really hope it can stay this way now that it's Appvolumes.

My guess would be that 3.0 will be released with Horizon 6.1?? ESXi 6 is to be released in the upcoming weeks. My guess would be that Horizon 6.1 is due Q2 and we might see 3.0 then.. Just guessing btw Smiley Happy

And as a reaction to the documentation Jason. Yes, we are used to the large documentation you guys always delivered but to be honest that made it easier for us to troubleshoot stuff. Because now it sometimes is hard to see why something is not working and documentation is limited on changes being made. Specially the config files.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You know I can't share that on public forumSmiley Wink

But sooner than you think..

0 Kudos