VMware Horizon Community
chriskoch99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Should we consider using a paravirtual SCSI adapter over LSI logic SAS?

We're just looking for ways to eek out every bit of login speed and performance possible.  Our VDI users are attaching anywhere from 3-8 appstacks as they login. I'm not sure pvscsi would be a palpable difference.... Is anyone doing this?   

Server 2016 Instant Clones
Horizon 7.12
AppVolumes 2.18.6

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DaveG_QVC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You want to switch to App Volumes 4x if you want to drastically improve login times. The difference for us between 2.x and 4.x has been huge particularly when you involve 5+ volumes.

0 Kudos
Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm currently on a client project and they are on AVM 4.x that some users will have more than 14 packages attached. We have an SR open for just this issues and discussions with the AVM and Horizon teams to get their feed back on the best practice for mounting the SCSI adapters and  which would be the SCSI type to use, LSI or PVSCSI.

Stay tuned as I and the teams continue to discuss these issues and get the best way to configure the environment and will be supported by the product teams.

VMware EUC by Broadcom
https://techzone.vmware.com/
0 Kudos
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

App Volumes will add PVSCSI controllers automatically; however, it does not change the existing VM controller.  

"VMware Paravirtual SCSI controllers are high performance storage controllers that can result in greater throughput and lower CPU use. These controllers are best suited for high performance storage environments."

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-7A595885-3EA5-4F1...

Additionally we recommend pre-adding controllers to the VM before cloning as this reduces the number of reconfigs required at user login.  The App Volumes team uses pre-added Paravirtual SCSI controllers when testing App Volumes 4.

Jeff Ulatoski
Product Line Manager, App Volumes
0 Kudos