VMware Horizon Community
julian2
Contributor
Contributor

SQL Server Management Studio 2012 - "Invalid license data. Reinstall is required." Error

I'm trying to create an App Volume of MS SQL Server Management Studio 2012. I'm using App Volumes 2.12. I have an Horizon 7 VDI pool made from a Windows 7 64bit parent VM. The build VM is a clone of the parent VM, using the same snapshot that was used to build the VDI pool.

The capture of the install works fine. I'm installing from an SQL Server 2012 ISO file that includes a valid license key. When I test the App Volume, I am assigning it to a test user and then logging in to the desktop pool using the same test user. When I run "SQL Server Management Studio" I get the following error:

"Invalid license data. Reinstall is required."

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same issue, and ended up packaging Visual Studio 2015 in an appstack, as detailed on this thread.

The I added SQL Server Management Studio 2016 to the same stack and that works a treat.  If you don't want/need VS, you could see if a similar method could be applied to applying the key as in the above thread?

Horizon Client 5.4.3 Appvol Manager 2.18 Appvol Client 2.18.6 UEM 9.10
kmckean1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am experiencing the exact same issue, did anyone manage to resolve this one?

Thanks very much for any assistance here.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert

kmckean1julian2

I was able to package SSMS 17.1 successfully. You have to run the visual studio CA reset tool when the appstack is mounted. You should be able to find the DDConfigCA.exe in your appstack and add it to run in the startup.bat file on the appstack.

For 17.1, the tool is located in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\DDConfigCA.exe

Link to 17.1

Download SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) | Microsoft Docs

spalladino
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into the same issue as well we fixed it by using the base image as the provisioning machine for the SQL server management studio, It seems MS put some kind of SID check into the free software and it sees the new machines the app stack is attached to as different then where it was provisoned and boom your get the dumb message.... Its actually the visual studio piece of ssms thats doing it.... leave it to MS to put a license on free software sigh....

But just use your base image of the machines you will attach the app stack to provision and you will be good to go just remember to take off any other agent etc... before provisioning.

Thank you

0 Kudos
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can also confirm that we had to provision on the Master Image for both SQL Server Management Studio 2008 and 2014 and Visual Studio 2013. Otherwise would run into the same invalid license issue. Thanks Microsoft.

0 Kudos
LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry to bring this thread to life again but I'm experiencing the same problem now. I'm trying to put SSMS 17.1 on the appstack along with Visual Studio. I have used the volume license key that is injected through startup.bat and it appears to be working fine for Visual Studio as it opens fine and shows as licensed. Another option that  didn't try is to simply name the msdn licenses and have user sign in to Visual Studio. Anyway. The problem seems to be wiht SSMS where when you launch it it's fine but as soon as you try to connect to any db the invalid license pops and says that reinstal is required. Once we close the error it shuts down SSMS.

Did anyone experience that? Would someone care to share a recipe? Thank you

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Did you confirm that your provisioning machine is a direct clone of your parent image? Usually this is a sign of that, like a few of the earlier comments see. I see this after doing windows updates on the build machine too, which I delete if I do, and then reclone a new one.

0 Kudos
LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I see let me try that and I'll post the reults

0 Kudos