VMware Horizon Community
MSMorgan12345
Contributor
Contributor

Rescanning Writable Volumes fail

Wanted to see if anyone else has seen this issue and if so if anyone has a fix.

I have a writable volume that showing as only having .14% left of room on it.  I contacted the user and told them to clear out any non essential data they may be storing on there profile (Downloads, etc..)

After she clears out about 10GB of data I attempted to rescan the volume and if errors out with a message that it has failed 5 times.  I look at the system message log and see the following

Job error: Refresh Writables #<Thread:0x9653a0> undefined method `parts' for #<SnapvolAttachment:0x5192040>

Any idea?  This is App Volume 2.10 and it is running on view 6.2

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just how did you let the user remove information from the writable volume then?

Did you attach it as an extra drive in Windows? If so it could well be she removed a lot more than you bargained for.

If she removed the snapvol.cfg or other files from the root of the writable volume it won;t work anymore.

If you want a user to remove information let it remove from the actual information in the VDI machine. After that, when the user logs off it will update the information automatically in the manager.

And if you would like to see what happens in a users writable volume i would suggest using a "windows basic machine" without appvolumes agent, add the disk there as an extra disk and have a look around to see where the info is stored.

0 Kudos
MSMorgan12345
Contributor
Contributor

I just had the user clear out he downloads folder and her temp folder on her profile which cleared up a bunch of space on the writable volume.  No need to go to the trouble of mounting it to another machine.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Does this mean it now works? Or still not? And indeed, that's just about enough but ost of the time you cannot guarantee for 100% what is actually stored on the writable volume other than checking it by mounting.

0 Kudos
solgaeDK
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

‌I had the same issue as well with undefined method "parts" error from Systems messages when I issue a rescan on either appstacks or writable volumes. It seems any appstacks/writable volumes created with a template prior to 2.10 will cause this error while it is on the attached state. If it is detached, the error does not occur. I can only assume some things are missing on templates prior to 2.10 that the 2.10 manager is looking for.

EDIT: the issue happens on 2.10 version of templates as well, so it seems rescan just plain won't work while the volume is on the attached state.

If only we could update the existing appstacks and writable volumes to the latest format just like ThinApp can do....but alas, the documentation is scarce on the "Update Writable Volume" function.

0 Kudos