VMware Horizon Community
riccardoklinger
Contributor
Contributor

Registry Operations to slow

Disclaimer: I am not in charge of our OP solutions/ VMWare installation and usage! be kind 😉

We are currently serving ArcMAP to our colleagues using App Volume. We are doing this for the first time after migrating from Windows 7 to Windows 10. 

As our colleagues are using ArcMAP with some python we saw run times of 2-4s for the following simple sample script to show our problems:

import arcpy
import time

start = time.time()
arcpy.env.scratchWorkspace = 'c:/work/scratchoutput.gdb' #regEnumKey operations takes place in this step
end = time.time()
print(end-start) #about 500s
start = time.time()
arcpy.env.scratchWorkspace = 'c:/work/scratchoutput2.gdb'
end = time.time()
print(end-start) #about 0.05s

This script takes the same times under Windows7 as well as Windows10 on a physical Laptop: 2-4s for the first arcpy call. In the new App Volume machine running Windows 10 it takes 500s! For non ESRI-guys: it is not creating any folder/files. It is simpy adding a string to a variable. 
I watched the process in the proc mon and it was tough: any RegEnumKey operation was taking long times:

riccardoklinger_0-1642058588100.png

We saw the content of this Applications launch and run slowly when an appstack is attached (2145683) (vmware.com) and my OP colleagues mentioned they have aplied what was described there. we saw no difference and we have to admit, that this was a solution for App Volume 2.x. We are running App Volume 4.x.
Are there similar problems and solutions described somewhere? We already raised an issue as a ticket but I would love to keep this visible for the community as well.
Any help is appreciated! 

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
PWinkelmann
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, we have the same problem. Do you already have a solution for this?

0 Kudos