VMware Horizon Community
gpenunuri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RSAT App Stack on Windows 10

OS - Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 1604 x64

I have been trying to create an appstack which contains the RSAT tools.  When I run MSU file directly it just sits for a few a minutes and then displays the message that it failed to successfully install KB2693643.  I tried to extract the files as listed below and use DISM to install. 

expand -f:* c:\WindowsTH-KB2693643-x64.msu C:\Temp

Once all the files were extracted, I did this command:

Dism.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\Temp\windowsth-kb2693643-x64.cab

but that fails also with ...

Error: 17

"The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive."

This is just a base Windows 10 machine that is used to create app stacks.  I can create other app stacks with no problems.  I have also been able to image a PC with the same Windows 10 version and install the RSAT tools just fine.  It is only prevented when trying to create an app stack with it.  I have downloaded multiple copies from Microsoft so I know the file is not corrupted. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

14 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

RSAT is not supported on App Volumes. You may install it on the base image. 

This thread might be helpful: Re: Installing RSAT 8.1 with Cloudvolumes 2.7

benstefan6
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any intention to support RSAT in an Appstack? Would it work if to thinapp RSAT first?

0 Kudos
gpenunuri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your help again.  At least I know the issue now. 

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

As RSAT is Windows add on, i'm not sure if this will be supported in the future (Windows components or Windows add ons are not supported). However, you may try ThinApp. Some useful useful links for ThinApping RSAT:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 Administration Tools Pack 2003 Service Pack 2

Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools for windows 7 SP1 32bit

Microsoft RSAT

0 Kudos
gpenunuri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to get this to work by creating the App Stack for the RSAT tools using a Windows 7 x64 machine and then making it available for Windows 10 x64 as well.  Everything works fine. 

0 Kudos
hermanc01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My solution to get RSAT for Windows 10 working was to install RSAT on the base image but to then disable everything within "Windows Features". 

Then within the AppStack install RSAT and leave the features enabled. When the AppStack gets applied it essentially enables RSAT.  Been doing this since day one and never had a problem with it. 

Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I was able to get this to work by creating the App Stack for the RSAT tools using a Windows 7 x64 machine and then making it available for Windows 10 x64 as well.  Everything works fine.

We did the exact same thing but after an upgrade to 2.12 and W10 1703 (CB version) it rigged the start menu. So if you are going to upgrade to that version I would advise you to go for Hermanc01's option, we did this as well and that worked quite well.

0 Kudos
Anobix67
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry to bump/necro an older thread, but figured this would be the best place to ask:

Has anyone had any luck disabling/enabling the Windows Feature for RSAT on Win10 1709+? It looks like it used to show up in Windows Features on 1703 but now that we moved on to 1709 (and 1803 eventually) that the RSAT tools no longer show in the enable/disable Features box. Thus leaving the only option for admins to have RSAT tools would be to build it into the template/golden image and then just not worry about normal users trying to use something that they have no reason to use (or capability/power).

0 Kudos
hermanc01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I ran into the same issue and created a "workaround" since Microsoft decided to change this.

1. Install RSAT on the template/golden image
  2. Delete the shortcuts created from RSAT from the template/golden image
    1. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
      1. Server Manager
    2. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Administrative Tools
      1. Remote Desktop Services (the entire folder)
      2. Active Directory Administrative Center
      3. Active Directory Domains and Trusts
      4. Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell
      5. Active Directory Sites and Services
      6. Active Directory Users and Computers
      7. ADSI Edit
      8. Certification Authority
      9. Cluster-Aware Updating
      10. DFS Management
      11. DHCP
      12. DirectAccess Management
      13. DNS
      14. Failover Cluster Manager
      15. File Server Resource Manager
      16. Group Policy Management
      17. Microsoft Azure services
      18. Network Load Balancing Manager
      19. Online Responder Management
      20. Remote Access Management
      21. Routing and Remote Access
      22. Server Manager
      23. Shielding Data File Wizard
      24. Template Disk Wizard
      25. Volume Activation Tools
      26. Windows Server Update Services
  3. On your AppCapture VM, install RSAT before provisioning and remove the shortcuts noted as above
    1. Tip: Just move them to a network share instead of deleting them to make your life easier
  4. During provisioning, recreate the shortcuts noted above

If you're like me and worry about a user navigating to the application and launching it from system32 (or wherever it resides), then you can blacklist the following:

• Remote Desktop Gateway Manager = %windir%\system32\tsgateway.msc
  • Remote Desktop Licensing Diagnoser = %windir%\system32\lsdiag.msc
  • Remote Desktop Licensing Manager = %windir%\system32\licmgr.exe
  • Active Directory Administrative Center = %windir%\system32\dsac.exe
  • Active Directory Domains and Trusts = %SystemRoot%\system32\domain.msc
  • Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell = %windir%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -noexit -command import-module ActiveDirectory
  • Active Directory Sites and Services = %SystemRoot%\system32\dssite.msc
  • Active Directory Users and Computers = %SystemRoot%\system32\dsa.msc
  • ADSI Edit = %SystemRoot%\system32\adsiedit.msc
  • Certification Authority = %windir%\system32\certsrv.msc
  • Cluster-Aware Updating = %windir%\system32\ClusterUpdateUI.exe
  • DFS Management = %windir%\system32\mmc.exe %windir%\system32\dfsmgmt.msc
  • DHCP = %windir%\system32\dhcpmgmt.msc
  • DNS = %SystemRoot%\system32\mmc.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\dnsmgmt.msc
  • Failover Cluster Manager = %windir%\system32\mmc.exe %windir%\system32\Cluadmin.msc
  • File Server Resource Manager = %windir%\system32\mmc.exe %windir%\system32\fsrm.msc
  • Group Policy Management = %SystemRoot%\system32\mmc.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\gpmc.msc
  • Microsoft Azure Services = %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=401298"
  • Network Load Balancing Manager = %windir%\system32\nlbmgr.exe
  • Online Responder Management = %windir%\system32\ocsp.msc
  • Remote Access Management = %windir%\system32\RAMgmtUI.exe
  • Routing and Remote Access = %windir%\system32\rrasmgmt.msc
  • Server Manager = %SystemRoot%\system32\ServerManager.exe
  • Shielding Data File Wizard = %SystemRoot%\system32\ShieldingDataFileWizard.exe
  • Template Disk Wizard = %SystemRoot%\system32\TemplateDiskWizard.exe
  • Volume Activation Tools = %windir%\system32\vmw.exe
  • Windows Server Update Services = "%ProgramFiles%\Update Services\AdministrationSnapin\wsus.msc"
Anobix67
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glad to see we're thinking alike, had the same plan (delete and recreate shortcuts as part of the stack).

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@hermanc01 

So I realize this is going to be dumb question potentially but how do you "blacklist" those items listed??

0 Kudos
hermanc01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DEM has the ability to block applications but we also use PowerBroker for Windows for privilege management.  Though I'm sure there's other applications that can do the same.

0 Kudos
dzak64
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What do you mean by "Disable everything within "Windows Features"?

0 Kudos
Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should be using this tool to create your Gold Image. This will disable all that is not needed for a VDI environment. You will also be able to custom configure and tweak.

https://techzone.vmware.com/resource/windows-os-optimization-tool-vmware-horizon-guide

VMware EUC by Broadcom
https://techzone.vmware.com/
0 Kudos