VMware Horizon Community
Nick_A671
Contributor
Contributor

Provisioning Machine not displaying "provisioning mode" pop-up

Hello All,

Firstly, thank you for your time and attention.

Premise: We are running Horizon 7 looking to implement App Volumes. I successfully installed the App Volumes Manager on a Windows Server 2016 VM. For the App Volumes Agent, I installed it on a "master" VDI image that we use for recomposing purposes within our VDI environment (I did take a snapshot which I revert to after the agent install until we're ready to fully deploy the Agent to our VDI production pool). I set up a "Test" desktop pool in Horizon as well as a "Test" Appstack which I created just for testing purposes. To create the provisioning (capture) machine, I cloned the VDI master image with the App Volumes Agent. Note*: Because of the cloning process, the new provisioning VM and the VDI master image share the same hostname (IP address is different due to DHCP).

Problem: When selecting the provisioning machine, during the provisioning process, I choose the newly created VM (cloned from VDI master). The IP address and VM duration time are verified (within the Directory > Online tab) to point to the provisioning VM and not to the VDI master (which is currently turned off). From the App Volumes > Appstacks tab, it shows that I am in provisioning mode. However, on the provisioning VM, the "you are now in provisioning mode" pop-up does not appear, even if I restart the VM. When I shut off the provisioning VM and turn on the VDI master image, the pop-up does appear when I log in. I don't want to use the master VDI image as a provisioning machine. 

Could it be because the provisioning machine is not the original holder of the hostname? Any help or insight as to why I'm experiencing this would be amazing. Thank you again for your time.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We do the same but change the computer name afterwards.

I would suggest changing the computer name and then trying again, could be the issue.

Do you see the appstack (or extra disk) being added to the packaging machine??

Nick_A671
Contributor
Contributor

Ray,

Thank you for your response. Due to network security policies (compartmentalization of admin permissions), I'm unable to change the hostname of the provisioning machine. It's unfortunate but I would have to submit a "request" to make this change which, from what I hear, can take weeks if not months.

Within App Volumes Manager, I do see the master/golden image machine under the Infrastructure tab displaying that it communicated but also shows that the provisioning machine has never communicated. Although, as previously mentioned, I do see the correct IP address and uptime duration, within the Online tab, that points to the provisioning machine.

Other than viewing the provisioning mode status (within App Volumes Manager) and which machine it is pointing to (by hostname), where else could you see that the appstack has attached?

Also, does it make a difference if the master image was cloned before or after the App Volumes Agent install? I feel like if I hadn't installed the Agent on the master, then this conflict would never have existed.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Also, does it make a difference if the master image was cloned before or after the App Volumes Agent install? I feel like if I hadn't installed the Agent on the master, then this conflict would never have existed.

I don't think so. We create the clone after we create the pools with the new golden image, I don't think this will make a difference.

You can check VCenter (or the properties of the packaging machine), it should have an extra disk attached, that's the appstack that you are creating (or at least want to create).

Nick_A671
Contributor
Contributor

Ray,

It appears that I have resolved the issue.

Because my master image and provisioning machine are sharing the same hostname, whichever machine communicates first (gets the agent installed first) with App Volumes Manager, that would be the machine that holds the "record" for communicating with App Volumes Manager. That would explain why the provisioning mode pop-up only displayed on the master and not the provisioning machine even when the master was turned off (pop-up would display once master was turned on).

To resolve, I removed the Agent from both the master and the provisioning machine and re-installed App Volumes Manager (as well as check the box to "overwrite the existing database"). Then, I installed the Agent on the provisioning machine. Now, when I start the provisioning process, the provisioning mode pop-up displays as intended, on my provisioning machine.

Unfortunately, I'm now experiencing an issue during the installation of Firefox where I get a pop-up that says, "You don't have access to write to installation directory..." when attempting to install in default location (ProgramData). Although, I can install normally outside of provisioning mode in same location (ProgramData). This leaves me to believe it has something to do with the permissions that App Volumes has that is not sufficient enough to perform the installs.

Should I move this new error to a new thread?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You could try that. I haven't seen this issue to be honest when packaging. We did see this issue with firefox with virus scanner because Firefox extracts itself in the temp dir and start running the install from there. Some virus scanners block that behavior.