VMware Horizon Community
jsinclair
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Provision an App That Requires Reg Key Permissions

I am testing an application deployment for a software package that requires some modifications in order to allow non-Admins run and update the software package. When launching the program updater utility for this application, there is a tool to verify and set proper permissions. Two out of three are folder permissions, while the third is a reg key permission located: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RAISE. This key needs full control added to the local users group. However, no matter what I try it won't stick. If I try through the utility, nothing. If I launch regedit, same thing. I don't get an error, it just immediately goes back to the original setting. I am suspecting it has to do with App Volumes, because if I install this program on a machine with no app volume agent, I can do this with no issues. I get the same results from both a provisioning machine and a regular desktop with the app stack attached. I have not tried writable volumes. I looked through the logs, but nothing has stuck out. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
anvr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If it's possible you can use group policies to set the specific permissions.

0 Kudos
jsinclair
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I checked there, and I don't see where you can specify permissions. I can add a regkey, but not force permissions. I did some other testing and did find a workaround. If I create the regkey in the base image and set my permissions, it does work. Not a terrible workaround, but this isn't a common application. Since this application has frequent updates, I'm assuming I'll need a writable volume for users to capture changes?

0 Kudos