VMware Horizon Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Proper way to Update Desktop with APPVOL

Been doing the normal way of updating my desktops as i do with all my Instant clone pools.  I get the desktop ready, recompose, then push it out.  With APPVOL installed with writable volumes it seems like every time i have to redo the desktop i have to unassign all the appstacks and delete the writable to get things to work.  otherwise the user gets a few strange errors.  Can't remember what the error is now but the only way to get rid of it is taking all that away.  Anyone have any ideas bout this??  Any help is appreciated 

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm trying to better understand your question. Are you asking about the proper way to update an appstack?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you update the pool my guess is that no user is logged onto that desktop right? And if you do upgrade when a user is logged on normal procedure would be to first log off the user, then detach the writable and appstack and then recompose it with the new image.

Next time the user logs in the new image is available, the appstacks will be attached and the writable will be attached. That's how it should work.

Your machines are being refreshed every time they have been used?? Otherwise you could get all kinds of strange messages because the VDI machine might have some stale info in it.

We never need to recreate writables or appstacks if we upgrade our golden image with just a few patches and maybe some software updates.

0 Kudos