VMware Horizon Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Pretty Crappy results with created apps

Been trying to get things up and running so we can test with users.  We have a lot of apps that i believe should be able to be setup in AppVol but not having any luck getting them to run.  i have one from Merge Software that when i install it and package it it looks and works great.  However when i assign it to a user it acts like it wants to install it again. after about 2 minutes it opens but that won't work.  the other is a simple encrypted messaging app that just pops up a user login box.  Once again when i package it it works fine but when i assign it to users no luck.  I went thru both apps multiple times with the same luck.  These are users that have non-persistent Instant clone desktops with DEM and APPVOL installed.  Anyone have any thoughts as to why they work when i package but not on VDI desktops??  Only thing that is different is Win10 Version.  One is 1809 and teh other is 20H2.  Could that be the reason?

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You need to capture the user profile portion of the install with DEM AppProfile. when you provision the application with AppVol, before you complete the provisioning, run the DEM AppProfiler to launch the app and capture the user portion of the install. 

There is another way to do this without having to re-provision the AppVol package. but you should do this way most of the time.

VMware EUC by Broadcom
https://techzone.vmware.com/
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Michael,

Was not aware of that and looks like I need to read a bit more.  Is that what was done in the Thinapp application?   I'm not too familiar with how to use DEM fully.  Just know the basics.  Thanks for the reply.   

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ThinApp was used more for isolation of applications, like (IE, Java, etc), but DEM is used to manage the application configurations and user profile data.

Take example for a application that has three different user configs;

• Admin
  • Support
  • Viewer

You leverage DEM Application Profiler to capture each config and name them appropriately, then import them onto a DEM config for that application and set conditions to load those set of configurations for that user.

You can do this for Application config files also, like ODBCs, for SQL applications. You would not use the DEM Profiler for something like that.

VMware EUC by Broadcom
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Michael,

Is it best to package one application at a time or multiple apps?  This part of the whole process alludes me for some reason.  thank you for the clarifications 

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In AVM 4.x you want to package each application in its own package.

VMware EUC by Broadcom
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Michael,

I appreciate the help with this and unfortunately I am not that up to speed with the application creation part of DEM.  I did the app profiler on a couple apps and still when i try to utilize the app that i assign users i get the same results, nothing happens.  There must be something i am missing and can't find much info on it.  I can see the profiles under General on the Personalization tab.  Just can't get over this hump.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks for the assistance. 

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
antonpaloka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DEM is for maintaining the user profile data of an app, if needed. For example, FakeApp2 uses appdata\roaming\FakeApp2 and HKCU\Software\ and DEM would capture those.

AppVolumes is for capturing an application and deploying it. 

Which feature are you having an issue with?

Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

I got to the point that i started from Scratch.  Looks like some of my file share and security setting might have been off.  i will update in a bit if still having issues.  Seems like I was only getting some of my personal settings from DEM.  Ex: getting drive mappings and shortcuts but no printers.  That kind of stuff as well as the apps that i created.  

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Well i pretty much need to go back to typing class.  Had so many typos in my GPO that i just started over.  Here is where i stand now.  Most is working but some things still NO.  I have the apps created in Appvol, i ran the DEM profiler, I can see the app under the General tab on the Personalization tab in mgmt console,  I can see the reg settings and have the condition set for group membership.  When i launch the app it will not launch and it did when i created the app.  Same for the other app i tested with.  also i can see teh ZIP fie under the Archives\FLEX-APP dir on teh file share.  What am i missing?

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
antonpaloka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you able to tell the app you are trying to install?

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Not sure what you are asking

Thank you, Perry
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
antonpaloka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is the name of the application are you trying to install with AppVolumes?

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Sure.  Sorry about that.  The name of the app is QLIQ (QLIQ Connect)

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
antonpaloka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have just searched it, you first setup the app in AppVolumes, then provisioned it and selected your capture machine.

When you installed the app, you made sure to select install for all users? 

You then finished provisioning, assigned it to a user and they don't get the application at all?

Is appvolumes agent installed on your gold image/pool? You're certain appvolumes service is running?

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

I setup the app in AppVolumes, then provisioned it and selected your capture machine.

I installed the app and made sure to select install for all users

After it was installed i then ran the DEM Profiler, captured the config then finished provisioning the app.

I asigned it to my test users that i have setup, the app icon shows up on their desktop but nothing happens when i click on the icon.  Nothing at all.

I am sure the agent is running.  That's why i'm feeling pretty stupid now.  

Tried with another App (Merge PACS workstation) and that one is a bit different.  The app shows up on the desktop and when i click on it, it acts like it wants to go thru the install again and eventually comes up with the login screen.  I test the apps before i finish provisioning them to make sure they work.  Guess it doesn't matter.  So , that is the pickle i'm in.  

Thanks for digging into it with me!!  Appreciate it!

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
antonpaloka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I personally never run the app after provisioning, and I do my DEM Profiler (if needed, I try to research it first) on a separate machine.

Can you try with something simple as Notepad++?

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Let me give it a try.

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos