VMware Horizon Community
livemist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Plan upgrade of appvolume from 2.12 to later versions

If anyone already performed the upgrade from 2.12, I would like to ask if you have the details on "how to detach all volumes". What are the risk factors if we detach the volumes in production environment?

Related Documentation: Upgrade App Volumes Manager

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It depends,

We have 2 Appvolumes managers behind an F5 and simply upgrade instead of uninstalling the old version and install the new version.

If you have a loadbalancer and multiple Appvolumes servers just get 1 out of the load, upgrade it, then add that server into the load and remove the one with the old Appvolumes manager, upgrade it and add it back to the load, no need to remove all attachments. For us it works quite well.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It depends,

We have 2 Appvolumes managers behind an F5 and simply upgrade instead of uninstalling the old version and install the new version.

If you have a loadbalancer and multiple Appvolumes servers just get 1 out of the load, upgrade it, then add that server into the load and remove the one with the old Appvolumes manager, upgrade it and add it back to the load, no need to remove all attachments. For us it works quite well.

livemist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Ray,

That really helped a lot, we somehow had the same setup and really helpful the experience you have shared in regard to the upgrade. It does now show me confidence with the implementation.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

No Problem, good luck with the upgrade.

0 Kudos
livemist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Ray, you have answered my question on my post. I haven't also asked you what if there are active connections, what will happen to their connections? Like there are attachments/sessions. Thanks

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As long as you make sure that you remove the server that you are going to upgrade from the loadbalancer nothing will happen.

Looking at how Appvolumes works, the agent only twice connects to the Appvolumes manager, during logon (to attach appstacks) and during logoff (to detach volumes). This information is then stored in the database and within the writables and appstacks.

Make sure that you do not select unmount all appstacks if you are going to uninstall the manager. I would suggest just updating though.

And as long as you have 1 active Appvolumes manager users can still work and will get their appstacks and machines will be refeshed and the DB will be updated.

livemist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again Ray, I really appreciate your prompt response. I realize now how this app volume works with LB.

0 Kudos