VMware Horizon Community
pbastiaans1
Contributor
Contributor

Packaging VM Drive runs Out of Space when packaging Ansys

I am running into an issue where the provisioning VM runs out of space during packaging.

I have enough free space(120GB free, app needs 30GB). I'm using a custom template 40GB, which tests good for other large packages.

I added a hard drive to store the installer files to not take up the free 120GB.

The install works fine on this device when not in packaging mode.

When in packaging mode the drive fills up and the package fails.

Anyone else experience this?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@pbastiaans1 

The default packaging template VMDK is only 20GB. 

See this KB on how to create bigger template VMDKs: Creating a new App Volumes AppStack template VMDK changing the default size of 20 GB (2116022) (vmwa...

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
pbastiaans1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! I forgot to add that I created a 40GB template.

It's the packaging VM that's filling up 120GB of space. I'm working on getting this thread the location of those files, guessing a temp folder somewhere.

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ah ok, then it has to be something with the installer indeed. Maybe incompatibility with AppVolumes? Since it can install fine when not in packaging mode. Try to monitor the diskspace during the install with something like TreeSize to find out in what folder it's getting out of space? 

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Also know that you can open a support request so support/engineering can have a deeper look on what is going wrong with this software in combination with AppVolumes.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

0 Kudos
Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

FYI, If this is an MSI, then multiply the install by 3. If the install is 30gb, then 30x3=90gb.
Once you do the install on the capture VM, you could delete the temp location that will drop it down to 60gb, roughly.

If you are installing as an admin install, form a uncompressed share location, then create a 60gb AppVol template and see if that works for you.

What is the name of the application you are having issues with, I will test this in my lab? 

VMware EUC by Broadcom
https://techzone.vmware.com/
0 Kudos
pbastiaans1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Michael.

The application is Ansys Student 2024 R1: Download Ansys Student | Workbench-based Simulation Tools

0 Kudos
pbastiaans1
Contributor
Contributor

Mickeybyte

Yup I opened a support request with VMware a few weeks ago...

😃

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@pbastiaans1 wrote:

Mickeybyte

Yup I opened a support request with VMware a few weeks ago...

😃

Oh... Well, we have VMware in the conversation now 😉

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

0 Kudos
Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please send me the SR. I would like to track this for you and to get a resolution sooner than later.

VMware EUC by Broadcom
https://techzone.vmware.com/
0 Kudos
pbastiaans1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

SR 24501679202

0 Kudos
pbastiaans1
Contributor
Contributor

I rebuilt the 80GB template requested by VMware support, the install completed. But the packaging fails with 

Packaging failed with error -76

0 Kudos