VMware Horizon Community
dgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Outlook indexing UEM or App Vol Writables

Hey all,

I am currently using a Writable UIA Only and a UEM GPO to redirect the users OST's to their Writables and it works great, but now the challenge is indexing since this is currently not persistent.

From what i can see there are two options here, either UEM w/ Scripts or App Vols Writable' UIA+Profile and create new template and attach to users.

The only issue is i am trying to get away from Writables UIA+Profiles and use UEM for everything Profile relates and just profile any apps and build UEM GPO's or policies for configs. It's been working pretty well, that being said i have seen there is a Article for App Vols Writables + Profiles below, but i haven't tests this yet and dont want this to interfere w/ the current Writable that manages the OST and don't want to introduce any issues w/ another writable+ profile so if i can avoid this that would be ideal.

App Volume Route:

VMware Knowledge Base

Can Windows Search/Indexing (needed for Outlook) work with App Volumes?

Microsoft Outlook Search Indexing With VMware App Volumes - YouTube

The second option which i am trying to figure out is have UEM manage a persistent experience of Outlook Search / Indexing and i have found a few options below, but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

UEM Route:

Writable disk to redirect Windows search (Index of Outlook only)

Thanks all hope we can find a nice solution for this.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
touimet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks dgrinnell​ for asking this question  I too desire guidance on this. VMware has publicly stated the preferred method of managing user profiles is with UEM.  It seems like the only workable solution to capture the indexing is to use Writable UIA + Profile which is what I want to avoid.  Could anyone assist?  Thanks!  

0 Kudos
robsisk1972
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I second the "Thanks" for asking the question.   I want the exact same thing.  

0 Kudos
robsisk1972
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I just got off the phone with VMware.   I don't believe you can get this done and working perfectly with the documentation that is released to the public.   The Tech I was working with was using an internal doc.    We have it working for the most part now with one issue that revolves around the windows search service being disable once you remove an App Disk.   I will continue working on this tomorrow and post back if anyone is still interested.  

0 Kudos
mchadwick19
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Rob,

Any update on this? We are looking for the same thing too AND experienced a similar outcome with the search service with a few users.

VDI Engineer VCP-DCV, VCP7-DTM, VCAP7-DTM Design
0 Kudos
robsisk1972
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry mchadwick19,

After rounds and rounds with VMware, the starting of the Windows Search service is still intermittent. 

0 Kudos