VMware Horizon Community
Poom22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Only Store C:\Users in App-Volume and not end up with UIA + large SVROOT

Hi all - My original intention with Appvolumes was to just store the C:\Users folder  + The Outlook SOT in a writable volume and not capture all OS and application changes, which seems to be what happens with the "uia+profile" template

I used Horizon with linked clones and applications installed on a golden image ( not app stacks )

I did not realize that applications installed on a Golden image would count as UIA , which seems to be the case, as i have in my app volumes huge SVROOT folders with large amounts of data in folders such as program files see e.g. https://imgur.com/a/WgxkOhttps://imgur.com/a/WgxkO

So I have 2 questions :

1 - Is this the expected behaviour to have SVROOT folders like the above with my linked clone setup and no appstacks?

2 - Is there an easy way just to capture the user profile and not all these e.g. "c:\program files " changes ?

Thanks- Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey Paul,

Yes this is default behaviour. The UIA + Profile writable catches everything that is being changed on the VDI and not being excluded form the snapvol.cfg on the witable volume.

So if some files in the program files directory change (for exmaple a repair of an application) this will be added into the writable).

There is a post that explains how to use UIA only for the OST file and you could then use UEM for application settings,

There used to be a profile only writable a long time ago. No idea if this will ever come back. Doesn't harm to ask GSS about it although I don't think they can give an answer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey Paul,

Yes this is default behaviour. The UIA + Profile writable catches everything that is being changed on the VDI and not being excluded form the snapvol.cfg on the witable volume.

So if some files in the program files directory change (for exmaple a repair of an application) this will be added into the writable).

There is a post that explains how to use UIA only for the OST file and you could then use UEM for application settings,

There used to be a profile only writable a long time ago. No idea if this will ever come back. Doesn't harm to ask GSS about it although I don't think they can give an answer.

Poom22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, what I want is Profile + OST, so i'll look into how to do this, maybe VMware support will help me ,

I use UEM but dont need to capture app settings

0 Kudos