VMware Horizon Community
salvmware8
Contributor
Contributor

OneDrive with app volumes writable disk with non-persistent VMs

Has anyone able to get OneDrive working with non-persistent VMs and app volumes writable disk? 

In my environment users have to setup and sync files at every login.  I have tried different user profile location and  writable persistent directory (C:\SnapVolumesTemp\writable) but no luck.

Environment:   Windows 10, VMware App Volumes 2.12.1, VMware UEM 9.2 and VMware Horizon 7.1

8 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What version of the writable volume are you using? The UIA + Profile or the UIA only? The UIA only is a writable volume that tracks everything but the profile directory. If you are using this and try to write files in the user profile directory it won't save it.

Also using the snapvolumestemp directory has no use, this folder is being exluded from the writable and is only there so Windows can use the mount point option and merge the appstack into the operating system. I would never remove, change or add anything to that folder when logging in. Just leave it there.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert

Not a solution to your issue but in our environment we found it easier to use the onedrivemapper to map a network drive to onedrive. No reason to sync files local from the cloud and use up unnecessary storage.

Check it out:

http://www.lieben.nu/liebensraum/onedrivemapper/

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert

This vmware blog post recommends using the c:\snapvolumestemp\writable folder to store OST files when using the writable without profile management. I can see where he got that idea. It worked well when I tested it.

Managing OST Files with App Volumes & User Environment Manager

0 Kudos
salvmware8
Contributor
Contributor

Ray, I'm using UIA only template.  My understanding is if I have VMware user environment manager, then I need to use UIA Only template.  Is that wrong?

( Page 16, VMware doc  https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/vmware-app-volumes-deplo... )

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What it does then is that it rebuilds the OST every time you log in looking at the statement of Sachin here. This folder is being excluded from your writable. My guess is that this is not what you are trying to achieve if you do want to store the OST in your writable. The positive thing about putting it in that folder is that Appvolumes does not tinker with the file as the filter driver just leaves the file alone which implies a faster response towards the file.

• C:\SnapVolumesTemp\writable is available by default as a persistent directory that is not virtualized and can be used at native-performance fast speeds since items here are not virtualized.

And for the UIA only and UEM. You could use the UIA only but you could also use the UIA + profile. Downside to this is that both UEM and Appvolumes do user profile management which causes some delay for the user. Performance might be a bit less than with UIA only and UEM. We did test it successfully with UIA + Profile and UEM.

If you are to use UEM for the OST keep in mind that if the OST start getting larger every time you start up Outlook UEM has to copy that file from it's datashare to wards your VDI machine. If it is just a few hundred MB this might even be an option but with OST files over a gig it would take quite some time to transfer the file.

0 Kudos
scoop
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have it working with uia + profile writable. I did have to modify some bits to assign a drive letter to the writable (though still hidden), otherwise onedrive wouldn't let me save to the profile (saw it as not local I guess).

My issue is that when a new user logs in, they always get the update onedrive dialog. I need to find out how to replace the default onedrive installer.

anthonyu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried using group policy or UEM Policy to redirect the oneDrive sync folder the the UEM writable Volume? admx and adml files for onedrive can be found in %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\BuildNumber\adm\

0 Kudos
bcross64
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is OneDrive doesn't like symlinks which is used for both C:\SnapVolumesTemp\writable and is somehow used for the user profile in UIA+Profile. This means neither location will work.

I create a C:\OneDrive folder and use the group policy "User Configuration/Administrative Templates/OneDrive/Set the default location for the OneDrive folder" to point OneDrive to it. OneDrive will then create a folder for the user under that folder which will be captured by the UIA part of the writable volume.

You can also do this: Running OneDrive in Non-Persistent VDI | Mirazon​. I can't recommend this because it goes against the supported locations Microsoft has designated.

If you can, I would update to Windows 10 1709 to take advantage of the On-Demand abilities of the new OneDrive sync client.

Further reading:

Learn about OneDrive Files On-Demand - Office Support

OneDrive Files On-Demand For The Enterprise - Microsoft Tech Community 

Deploy the new OneDrive sync client in an enterprise environment - Office Support

Restrictions and limitations when you sync files and folders

0 Kudos