VMware Horizon Community
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Office 2016 ProPlus click-to-run with Writable Volumes, need help

Hello:

We have been fighting an issue with Office 2016 Pro Plus with View for over 2 months and need some guidance if possible.  The issue is that Office apps will run at first for a user, but eventually they will crash and will no longer open.  The user gets the error "Something went wrong..." dialog box but none of the Office applications will open again after this happens, even after a logout, reboot, etc.  The issue seems to be specific with View, we are using the same image that we use for our golden master VM on physical machines and we are not having this issue.

Here's our scenario:

We have Office 2016 Pro Plus installed on our golden master VM, we are NOT deploying it with an AppStack.  Users log in to a non-persistent VM using AppVol Writable Volumes to store their windows profile data.  They run any Office 2016 app and the first time it is supposed to activate with an E3 license for O365.  I believe it's called click-to-run.  Users will be able to use the Office applications from anywhere of 2 hours, to 2 weeks, with no problems at all then all of a sudden they will get the error "something went wrong..." and none of the Office applications will run after that.  No matter what we have tried, the only fix is to remove the Writable Volume and re-create it (essentially re-creating their Windows profile).  After that, Office apps will run just fine until this problem repeats itself.

I have tried to apply this AppVol fix:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21450...

Which has not helped..

We are also on the latest AppVol 2.12, as well as Horizon 7.0.3 throughout our entire environment, including the Horizon agent, and also the latest version of the Horizon Client, 4.3.

I am hoping there is some feedback on how Office needs to work with Writable Volumes.  I've read the VMware docs but it only seems to address when deploying Office with an AppStack, which we are not doing.

Thanks very much in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mark808
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have a similar setup but currently running AV V2.11 and intermittently run across the same problem.  I have not been able to track down the cause and was hoping it would be addressed in V2.12.    From your post it hasn't.

I also use UEM to keep as much of the user's settings out of the Writable Volume as possible, but still occasionally run across this same problem.

Anyone have a solution other than deleting and recreating the Writable Volume?

0 Kudos
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I opened a new thread on this issue here:

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2641631#2641631

0 Kudos