VMware Horizon Community
norgemauli
Contributor
Contributor

Office 2010 (Word) Reconfigures on Startup if combined with different Applications

Experts!

I admit I am not a very advanced in app volumes mainly because I don't find a lot of resources on how to become an app volumes wizard. My setup

Dual App Managers (Load Balanced) pointing towards Always-On SQL

New Windows 7 Gold Image with Office 2010 & Lync 2010 & Adobe Reader included. Office Versions are 32 bit on 64 bit Windows 7.

Issues solved (but not sure why)

Project 2010 Appstack attached - Office Reconfigures or when opening Sharepoint wants to install something from MSOCache. But not on all users.

Visio 2010 Appstack attached - same behaviour

Visio Viewer (in Gold Image) Problems

Please note: no license errors

----

Solution to those: Office repair installation and reinstalled the Appstacks, opening all office products and opening Sharepoint to ensure all components are installed.

Remaining Issue:

Adobe Acrobat Pro 11.0.17 AppStack attached and opening Word, it wants to reconfigure. Only when opening Word. Redid the process from above and so far no solution.

So far, my solutions have been guess work as I don't 100% understand what is going on and why it is happening. I was wondering if anyone else has seen these problems and has a solution to this?

However, I'd be even more interested on a more generic troubleshooting approach for issues arising when AppStacks are attached to a VM, because I foresee more of these issues coming up.

h

I'd be happy for any help you guys could provide and also grateful for any resources I could read to get a deeper understanding of how app volumes works and how the merge process works. For instance, I observed that when a user logs in with the Visio app stack installed, everything works fine. The user logs of, the VM is not refreshed, and the next user doesn't have a visio entitlement, therefore requires Visio viewer, in some cases Visio viewer will break. I would have expected though that all traces of the Visio appstack are removed once the vmdk is unmounted? I have now started to refresh on log off as a consequence.

Thanks for your support in advance.

9 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you make packages make sure to have package machine that is a full clone of your golden image and then uninstall Horizon View agents and UEM.

These license or error messages mostly pop up when your packaging machine is not exactly the same as your golden image.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Hi Norgemauli,

I do have the same problem long back! and I fixed it using below solution

please check either you are having the "NoReReg" entry under "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options" [as you said you are using office 2010]

If you are not seeing the "NoReReg" at above path, please open by pressing windows key + R ["RUN"] and past the below command and click enter

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Please do let us know your feedback.

Thank you,

Vkmr.

Skmr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am running office 2016 and few of my users are having this issue and fixed it by adding it manually

any idea why it is facing by only few users?

Thank you,

Pere.

0 Kudos
norgemauli
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately this never worked for me. The registry keys are added to my gold image and it has no effect. I used google-fu to get to this solution and already then it didn't work. Just to double-check, you would like me to add this to the gold image, as app volumes discards everything under HKCU correct?

The Project and Visio issue is gone. Apparently the office installation was broken. Now I don't get the error message anymore with VISIO and Project, however, I get it with Adobe Pro XI 11.0.17 & 23.

In my despair, I build a new gold image (or actually I build a capture machine from which I deploy the gold image and add the agents to them.) On first start of Word 2010, it wants to reconfigure now. It does that and the next time I start it on the same computer, it is very slow to load add-ins though it opens without reconfiguration. On a new machine, it will reconfigure again.

edit: 

Something I noticed is, that if I run the installer without the capture machine being in provisioning mode, the installation succeeds and word opens without reconfiguration. It only wants to reconfigure, when the VM is in provisioning mode.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Please consider moving office to parent image, it will make your life easy for managing the office patches and rest of things.

On Adobe: please check the target shortcut of icon property's and re-configure it if you did not found appropriate location for application, please let me know if you need any help here.

for Pere on why only few-users?: are you using non-persistence desktops? if so then it is due to persistence issue. 

Thank you,

Vkmr.    

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

and yes appstacks will not capture "HKCU"

again, I strongly recommend you to please think on moving office bits to parent image.

norgemauli
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again for your answer.

Office 2010 is already part of the parent image. The only office products not on the parent image are Visio and Project. For those, three AppStacks have been created, one Visio, one Project, one with both installed, as per VMware recommendation.

However, the current Adobe Problem also occurs, when no other AppStacks are attached. The Adobe Pro install is an SCCM installation packet, which is being installed by triggering the msi and the all users option set to 1.

I am not an application packager – but I believe this option does what it is supposed to do, as the start menu entries are being pushed from “%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Startmenu\Programs”. At least that is what I believe, as I cannot inspect the location of the start menu items on my profile. The Target just says Adobe Acrobat XI Pro.

I also want to point out, Adobe Pro XI is working perfectly. It starts up and works the way it is intended. However, it (or AppVolumes) causes MS Word 2010 to reconfigure. As stated in my previous post, if I install Adobe Pro on the capture machine without the VM being in provisioning mode, the installation works. Adobe as well as MS Word work exactly the way they are intended, i.e. No reconfiguration required. The issue only occurs, once the capture machine is in provision mode. The issue is then reproducible once the AppStack gets assigned to other VMs as well.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

are you using Project and Visio as same version/flavor[standard or professional] and same language pack? and what was your core office version [I know it was 2010 but just cross checking] and type/flavor

[very important] also please check for office patches for your MS project and MS Visio make sure keep up to date and sync with core office.

On Adobe:

please create the shortcut/icon where target location should point to application executable. [please see the below example for adobe reader]

pastedImage_0.png

Regards,

Vkmr.

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Hi Norgemauli,

I just trying to take your feedback on this discussion are you still facing this issue? if yes, please let me know where you are facing problem for implementing my above steps

Regards,

Vkmr.

0 Kudos