VMware Horizon Community
TDJB3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

O365 2013 Can't open attachments in Outlook

We have an AppStack of O365 click-to-run, 32 bit and version 2013.

We got a message back from our testers that they could not open attachments in Outlook.  They double click on the attachment and eventually get a nondescript message that the operation failed.  The attachment is trying to open in Protected View.  I can disable Protected View and it will open.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TDJB3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This issue was resolved with App Volumes 2.12.1. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What is the attachment format? Is it PDF? If yes, do you see this issue only with PDF or with any other attachments?

Do you have writable volumes as well?

0 Kudos
TDJB3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It appears that only Office documents can't be open.  I was able to open other files.  We do have writeable volumes and the Outlook ost file is redirected to it.

If I try to preview a document, I get the messages that no previewer is installed and that some People Pane features are turned off when Windows Desktop Search is not available.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Could you confirm the version of App Volumes?. Also please confirm whether the AppStacks are attached to virtual desktops or RDSH

0 Kudos
TDJB3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The version of App Volumes is 2.12 and the stacks are connecting to virtual desktops.  We are using Horizon View 7.0.1.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Please confirm if the below exclusion is added to the office AppStack.

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY

0 Kudos
TDJB3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have the exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\ClickToRun\REGISTRY line in the Office 2013 AppStack and on the writeable volume.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ok. I'm not sure what is causing the issue, sorry. Please reach out to VMware support.

0 Kudos
LJMCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am also seeing a similar issue.  Office 2016 click-to-run installed in 2.12 AppVol appstack attached to Windows Server 2012 R2 RDSH farm results in Outlook cannot open Office attachments.  Receive error from Click-to-Run client "Something Went Wrong".   See a number of Software Protection Service errors in App event logs.  Disabling Protected View for attachments in Outlook did not resolve.

Adding exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY to the appstack did fix a number of other issues with O2016 appstack, namely with Skype presence integration not working in Outlook.

Otherwise, anyone have a fix for this?  I have a SR open with VMware but no solution has been provided.  Only work-around is to install O2016 on RDS host.

Anyone successfully appstack click-to-run O2016 and able to open Office 2016 attachments in Outlook 2016?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TDJB3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

LJMCP,

We have worked around the issue by loading O365 2013 on the template.  We also experience that same issue with 2016.

As you, we have a ticket open with VM.  If I get an answer, I will post it.

0 Kudos
TDJB3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

LJMCP,

We called support and logged a ticket on this issue a while back. 

We were forced to 2016 because Microsoft would not let us create new installs with click-to-run.  Back to the issue, VMware is going to release a patch later this month that fixes the issue.

0 Kudos
Mark808
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Aloha TDJB3,

Are you referring to the AppVolume 2.12.1 patch/update?   It would be nice if it addresses this issue as well as a few others we are running across.

0 Kudos
TDJB3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This issue was resolved with App Volumes 2.12.1. 

0 Kudos