VMware Horizon Community
icsmasy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New to AppVolumes - Is this the right fit?

The issue I have in my environment is that one app, Bloomberg Terminal, is overwhelming all other apps, no matter how many resources we give to that full VM. Especially one internal app which needs a very fast response time - window popup time - which it gets considerably slow when Bloomberg Terminal is launched. Tried to work with CPU priority settings, but I didn't notice major improvements. I've also tried deploying Published Applications and offload the BB app on a different VM, but BB terminal app becomes very laggy once logged in into it. The actual workaround is to run VM inside VM, so I offloaded Bloomberg terminal onto another full VM and connecting to that via Horizon Client from the main VM.

Space saving is not a target for us because we are using Flash arrays with deduplication inbuilt. So I'm looking for a solution to offload some applications from the main VM onto another ones and using different CPU and memory resource, to not affect the main internal apps. Would AppVolumes help with that?

Or I might have a wrong mindset here and there could be different solutions I could look at?

Much appreciated.  

0 Kudos
20 Replies
oekoworldsuppor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi icsmasy,

sorry, I was thinking to much in the box of app volumes, as I was reading about app volumes and the topic is aboout that as well. My bad!

This is somehow the solution we have right now (linkedclone pools with persona profile management) but it is hard to maintain, as all the machines are somehow differnt over time and we have differnt pools because some people need other solutions then others and for some this works better, for other something else... As we have create 2 new datacenters, I am trying to have a little as possible differences in the architecture, we are very little users (less then 100) and too many solutions need to much care and time we do not have. So I was looking into a solution "one fits all" and App Volumes with writeable volumes fit the problem to individualize the programs on the PC (most programs are loaded at login, the commun applications (office) are on the master for performance). In case a program needs some special things (like BB), I will use writeable volumes for, as this allows us to let the software update itself (like on a normal PC) and not have to do all the things BB needs to do (activate it with the serial number, use users time for this etc.) on the master.

Best regards

Michael

0 Kudos