VMware Horizon Community
DDunaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mount Volumes Immediately no longer an option?

I played with he beta of App Volumes 4 a bit and I just upgraded my 2.18 environment to the GA release of App Volumes 4.

I've noticed that there is no longer an option to assign/unassign volumes immediately or on the fly (while a user is logged in). Is this by design?

I've been wanting to use the command line to mount volumes for users based on flags with DEM.

For example, I have a community college customer who would like to assign volumes to users, but also assign volumes to machine accounts (not supported to do both) while the user is in a certain room. Imagine the user always has a set of Apps assigned, but we also want to assign application X when the user logs into a VM from a certain computer lab. I've worked to assign app stacks using the command line that is used in the VM Test Drive desktops "Attach LotsOfApps" so that we can attach a certain app stack based on a condition that is met with DEM.

This wont be possible if we are not able to attach app stacks on the fly anymore.

-David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi David,

This is one of the few options listed in the Install Guide that we removed from the admin console interface to allow the App Volumes team time to design a better way to implement this feature in the new application package framework. In the interim, the function still exists in App Volumes 4 manager console under the VOLUMES (2.X) section, and you can still use the function with your 2.18 agents.

We look forward to bringing back a better design of this immediate attach feature as part of a future release.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ulatoski
Product Line Manager, App Volumes

View solution in original post

6 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't know if its on purpose or not, but "almost every" time I've tried to use the immediate option it ended up breaking the desktop in one way or another. causing the user to logut and back in again.

", but also assign volumes to machine accounts (not supported to do both) "

Who told you that, or do you mean just doing it on the fly. There are multiple resources showing this is acceptable, the only thing thats not supported is writable volumes with mixed user and computer assignments.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

For example look at

Assign an AppStack to a User

it says at the bottom

"You can have an AppStack assigned to a user and computer at the same time. See Assign an AppStack to a Computer."

0 Kudos
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi David,

This is one of the few options listed in the Install Guide that we removed from the admin console interface to allow the App Volumes team time to design a better way to implement this feature in the new application package framework. In the interim, the function still exists in App Volumes 4 manager console under the VOLUMES (2.X) section, and you can still use the function with your 2.18 agents.

We look forward to bringing back a better design of this immediate attach feature as part of a future release.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ulatoski
Product Line Manager, App Volumes
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

The official documentation of version 4 states that it exists (see attached document).

Assign an AppStack to a User (pag.93 e 94)

Assign an AppStack to a Computer (pag. 95 e 96)

pastedImage_4.png

-------------------------------------

Differences between version 4 and version 2.18

Version 4  Change VOLUMES (2.x) AppStacks

pastedImage_5.png

Version 2.18 - Change VOLUMES  AppStacks

pastedImage_8.png

attached both documents (versione 4 and version 2.18)

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't understand ... you wrote me rightly that my version 2.18 was old (which I rightly withdrew) and your links are always versions lower than 4.

pastedImage_1.png

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Appvolumes 4.0 just came out, I've never replied to a Appvolumes 4.0 post yet, your link would have been fine as of a week ago. That's all I was referencing, and you were mostly right it still works per what the VMware person said, and you seemed to find the correct reference. I'm not sure if this is what the OP needs though. If the direct attach feature is needed its probably better to stay at 2.18, as none of the 4 features would apply based on my reading of the problem.

0 Kudos