VMware Horizon Community
DumbUsername
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Most effective way to assign AppStack

I have an AppStack with 20 applications and I'm assigning the stack using OU for linked clones. This OU has several sub-OU for different pools.

After linked clones are recomposed with a new snapshot, none of the linked clones had the AppStack mounted even after logging in to the linked clones. I had to remove assignment and re-assigned it to the same OU and forced immediate attachment, for apps to show up.

Question: What is most effective way to assign an AppStack for assignment/attachment post recompose?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

We use user assignments for our linked pools. If you ever want to use writable volumes, you won't have to worry about re configuring all the assignments from computer based to user based.

In view, our linked pool are entitled to a AD Group. If we want users to use the pool, we add them to the AD group.

In App Volumes, we assign the appstacks to this same AD group and limit it to the desktops in the pool. The desktops name is unique to the pool. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kevinpower
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

What is the version of the App volumes manager?

I see the same behavior on versions lower than 2.12.

Our solution was to upgrade the manager and agent to version 2.12

0 Kudos
DumbUsername
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm using 2.12.1.103.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

We use user assignments for our linked pools. If you ever want to use writable volumes, you won't have to worry about re configuring all the assignments from computer based to user based.

In view, our linked pool are entitled to a AD Group. If we want users to use the pool, we add them to the AD group.

In App Volumes, we assign the appstacks to this same AD group and limit it to the desktops in the pool. The desktops name is unique to the pool. 

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

We delete our linked clones on logoff, so user assignments where required. If you use a computer assignment on linked clones that are deleting they would randomly get stuck because the computer doesn't send a message to the appvolumes server. if you user based assignments, when the user logs out the appstack is detached.