VMware Horizon Community
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Mixing App Stack assignments (Computer & User) - possible?

I have a client site with a number of app stacks that take an age to become fully available to the user.

The registry has been tweaked to stop the agent from blocking the logon, but this just means they have a desktop with no icons until all app stacks have been attached, which is currently taking 40 - 60 seconds after logon. I was hoping there was a way to assign some of the appstacks at computer startup (ie, a general appstack), and then assign other more specific ones based on user group membership.

I can see from the manager logs that when this is attempted the following message is displayed:

Skipping assignment lookup for "user" because Computer "computer" already has volumes.

Is this something that is possible to achieve?

AV 2.11

W7 x 64 Linked-Clones

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

This is not supported. Either AppStacks have to be assigned to "Computers" or "Users" but cannot mix and match the assignments.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

This is not supported. Either AppStacks have to be assigned to "Computers" or "Users" but cannot mix and match the assignments.

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I suspected as much - bit of a bummer as it really would be useful to have the core apps immediately available so a user can at least do something whilst waiting.

I don't really want to put those core apps in the gold image as it starts to reduce the value that App Volumes provides.

Thanks for the quick response!

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Why are you saying the user can't do anything?

What is your login times?

Are you using Persistent or Non-Persistent Desktops?

How many AppStacks are being mounted for a user, on average?

Mike_A
0 Kudos